Chapter 34

The first thing I notice when I open my eyes is how bright it is inside the room, remembering how Louise never shuts her blinds, the second is that I'm alone in the bed. I sit up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I look around.

"Morning," I mutter, seeing Louise walk out of the bathroom.

"Good morning," she smiles, walking towards me. "I thought you wouldn't wake up anytime soon."

"What time is it?" I ask, leaning against the headboard.

"Almost 10," she says, sitting down beside me. "How did you sleep?"

"Good."

I rest my head on her shoulder as she wraps her arm around my shoulders, placing a kiss on top of my head. "Good."

We stay in silence for a while, both of us lost in our own thoughts. I close my eyes for a moment, enjoying the warmth of her body against mine. "I need to go," I say, opening my eyes and looking up at her. "Preparations for the event today."

"Oh," she mutters under her breath. "Right."

"The general workers one is tomorrow, don't forget," I say, getting up from the bed and walking to the bathroom.

"I know," she says, following me into the bathroom. "I'll be there."

"Don't be late," I say, starting the shower.

"I won't," she says, leaning against the door frame. "I'll be there for you."

"You'll be there to work."

"For you," she repeats, crossing her arms over her chest as she watches me.

"I'm not listening," I say, pulling the curtains closed, even though they're transparent. "Be a good girl, go make me some coffee."

"What if I don't?"

"You'll find out."

"You're so hot when you're mad, it makes me want to disobey you," she says, her eyes fixed on me making my insides burn but I stay strong, ignoring her remark. "Right away, ma'am," she says, a smile tugging on her lips before she leaves.

I sigh, resting my forehead against the cold tiles. What's going to be of us now? I told her I was in love with her... I told her I was in love with her. I repeat in my head as I stare into the wall.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself down as I try to think about what comes next. There is no way back now, I just have to push forward. I can do that, I can handle it.

The entire place is crowded when I get there. People are standing by the walls as they wait for the presentation to start. My eyes wander around the room, hoping to see a familiar face to get me through this... anyone except Caleb, that is. He eyes me from the other side of the room, turning his attention elsewhere after a few seconds of what I can only describe as an intense staring match.

"Esther!" someone calls. "Over here."

I look in the direction of the voice, smiling as I see a familiar face waving at me. "Ruth," I say, walking to her side. "It's good to see you here."

"I got promoted, I'm the head of the marketing department now," she smiles, proudly. "You look great, by the way."

"Oh, thanks," I say, fixing my blazer. "Congratulations, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks," she says, looking around. "Are you alone? Still single, I see."

"Yes," I say, glancing at the people around us. "Still single."