Chapter 35

Louise has been acting strange since we got back from the event, her eyebrows knitted in a frown and her eyes lost in thought.

"What's wrong?" I ask, my eyes fixed on her as she sits at the kitchen island, watching me as I fix us something to eat. "Never thought you'd be the one overthinking us, to be honest."

"It's not that," she says immediately.

"Then what is it?" I ask, putting down the knife.

"I just don't want you to regret this and resent me if something happens..." she says, trailing off at the end.

"I won't," I say simply, turning to look at her as I grab the bread on the other side of the kitchen.

"You don't know that."

"I do," I say. "Lettuce?"

"No."

I shrug, adding it to her sandwich anyway. "I know myself well enough, I know what I'm getting into," I say, placing the plate in front of her.

"I don't like the greens."

"Don't be a kid."

She stares at the sandwich for a moment, letting out a sigh before taking a bite. "This is why I like you so much."

"Because I'm bossy?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I take a seat in front of her.

She shakes her head. "You're firm."

"I'm not sure what you mean by that."

"You always have a clear view of things, you always know what to do..." she says, taking another bite. "I admire that."

"Well, I don't always know," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "I do make mistakes."

"Yeah, but you do them with a plan in mind," she says, looking up at me.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

"No," she says, shrugging. "It's just you."

"It's just me," I repeat under my breath.

We sit in silence for a while, neither of us knowing what to say after that. I turn to look at her, my eyes wandering from her face to her bare shoulders, she's wearing nothing but a black camisole and panties, no bra.

I get up, walking around the island until I'm standing right behind her. I rest my hands on her shoulders, rubbing my thumbs against the exposed skin. I feel her shiver under my touch, making me smile as I lean down and place a kiss on her neck. She tilts her head to the side, giving me better access to her skin.

My hands travel down her arms, resting on her waist as I pull her closer. "What are you doing?" she asks, her voice barely above a whisper as she leans her head back.

"What do you think?"

I grab the hem of her shirt, pulling it up slowly until she raises her arms, allowing me to take it off completely. My lips go back to her neck, leaving open-mouthed kisses on her skin as my hand travels upwards to her breast. I can feel her heart beating fast against my palm, making me smile as I gently squeeze her soft flesh, sucking on the skin on her neck as I pinch her nipple between my fingers. She lets out a quiet moan.

My hand trails down her stomach, reaching the hem of her panties. I hook my thumb under it, tugging it slightly as my mouth goes down her neck to her shoulder, kissing and biting her soft skin as I continue to tease her.

"Esther," she sighs. "Why out of nowhere?"

"Out of nowhere?" I ask, leaning up slightly to look at her face. "You're practically naked, and you're asking me why?"