Chapter 16

It's obvious the kiss caught her off guard but there's little to no lagging on her end, she immediately starts kissing me back with the same intensity. Her hands shyly rest on top of my hips as I push her closer to me, feeling her quickened heartbeat against my own — it's so loud that we barely hear the sound of the elevator opening.

We part away just in time before whoever is coming in could see us but by the look on his face as his eyes land on us, I think it's fairly clear that something was going up just before he came in, but I don't think intense kissing is what's on top of his list — female rivalry perhaps, if you read Louise's deep blushed face as anger instead of heated desire but I might not be far behind — the point is that for a split second, he seemed to hesitate on entering the elevator, and maybe he should have waited for the next one because the atmosphere as we go down is so thick it feels suffocating. It was so bad that as soon as the elevator doors opened on the ground floor he was gone.

I step out first, walking briskly to the parking lot and I notice that she's hesitant to follow me. "Are you just going to kiss me and then leave?" she asks, finally keeping up with my pace.

"I don't particularly find the appeal of having this kind of conversation in such a public setting, do you?"

"We weren't exactly having a conversation, not that I didn't like it."

"Precisely."

"Are you suggesting that we continue it somewhere else?" She raises her eyebrows, a sly grin emerging on her lips. That smirk of hers, incredibly annoying but so kissable for some reason.

I fight with myself for a good second before finally letting it out. "Yes."

I'm not sure what compelled me to impulsively invite Louise over to my home of all places, and I'm pretty sure she's reading this as an 'I want to take this to the bedroom' type of invite... which she isn't exactly wrong. I've been feeling all sorts of ways on the way home and none of them had anything to do with the answers to the questions I've been desperately wanting to get out of her.

"Nice house," she says as she takes in the living room.

"I'm sure you've seen much better."

"But none of them feel this homey... you must be Blackie," she reaches down in an attempt to pet Blackie but she simply gets up before she can even taste the feel of her fur, turning her back on her and walking away. "I don't think she likes me."

"Well, she didn't scratch you."

"So... does that mean she likes me?"

"It means she tolerates you."

"That's a start I guess," she chuckles. "But I'm sure you didn't invite me in so I could meet your cat," she says, taking a few steps closer to me. "Or is this about the last conversation we had?"

"Enlighten me," I say simply, trying to ignore my heart rate's sudden spike as she stops just a few inches away from me, without my heels on she's just about my height. A little taller, or maybe it's the other way around, it doesn't matter.

"Last time we talked, you didn't have the courage to take on my request in return for the answers you wanted." It takes me a moment to fully grasp what she's saying, not that I'm not listening, it's just hard to think when my brain only seems to focus on the movement of her lips as she talks. But it's funny that she's mentioning that, because I was just about to give it to her without getting anything back.

"I wouldn't say that I didn't have the 'courage', I simply didn't feel like playing into your little games, Louise."

"And now you do?" She raises her eyebrows. "By the look on your face, that conversation we had didn't even cross your mind, now did it? You really do just want to jump my bones."