SIXTEEN

"Miss Ari," the nurse spoke. "Could you step out of the room? I would like to update you on Kim Jongin's condition." She explained before walking out, waiting for me to follow.

I slowly slip out of the hospital bed, careful not to wake the resting boy. Kai needs as much sleep as he can get.

Quietly walking out of the, room I stand beside the nurse. She gave me a small smile, observing my body language.

I took the time to notice her appearance. Her light brown hair was pulled back, and she looked exhausted. The medical business must be very tiring.
Her face was happy, but I could see a hint of sadness in her eyes.

The smile that was ghosting her face reached her brown orbs, but they still screamed with sorrow. It shot a pang of worry through my stomach as I silently began hoping that it isn't anything about Kai.

"How are you?" She asked, the sincerity pouring from her tone of voice.

"I'm fine, but I would rather know how Kai is doing." I answer, shifting my weight to one foot.
It doesn't matter how I am doing, I'm not the one whole blacked out from lack of sleep and drinks.

Her head tilted to the side causing her ponytail to sway a bit. "Jongin," I explained, forgetting that she doesn't know of his preferred name.

"I don't believe that you should be worried about him," She answered, calming my anxiety. "But he has worked himself too hard, so you should definitely watch him from now on."

"Oh, I will definitely be watching him. But when can he come home?"

"Not this evening. He needs to stay over night so that we can monitor him." I let out a small sigh.

"Thank you," I answered while giving her a smile.
She nodded and walked away.

When I returned to the room, Kai was awake. He was sitting up, silently staring out the dark window. It makes me sad to see him incapable of running off and doing what he pleases.

Of course, we all enjoy resting. But since he is forced to do it, I'm sure it makes him feel antsy.

"Jongin," I spoke. His head turned to me, a look of curiosity filling his face. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling better. But when can I get out of here?"

"You have to stay for the night." I answer, giving him an apologetic smile.

"Will you stay with me?" He asked.
I almost yelped-- he resembled a little boy that is afraid of the dark.

"Sure," I answer while sitting next to him once again. "I'll have Dongmei bring my things."

"Thank you." His voice was soft and sincere.

Silence engulfed the room. It was a comfortable silence, allowing the both of us to enjoy each other's company. I had looked out the window to see the dark sky.

It was weird to be in a hospital-- I have always had a fear of them. The smell, the unhappy people, just everything about them makes me feel sick. But being here with Kai makes me forget my hate for the buildings. I have focused all of my attention on him, only worrying if he is okay.

I felt happy to be in his presence, and it worried me. But right now, I don't have time to worry about things like that.

A small ding echoed through the room, pulling me from the deep thoughts. I carefully climbed out of the bed, retrieving my phone.
This thing always interrupts.

It was from Dongmei. The message said that she was in the waiting room, so I should go down there.

I set the device on the table once again, running a finger through my tangled hair.