ONE

Placing my fingers on the cold handle, I opened the door and stepped inside. I was greeted by a furnished room that I will be calling mine for the next few months. Well, partly mine. I'll be sharing this dorm room with another girl.

I don't mind sharing, I would rather do it than be alone. But I'm pretty nervous to see who my roommate will be. I don't get on well with many people, so hopefully we can be civil.

It doesn't appear as though she has come yet, the room looks pretty untouched.

"Are you sure you want to do this, sweetie?" My mother asked, skeptically examining the room.

My family and I are pretty close-knit. This will be the longest time I've spent away from my mom's side, actually. It's only natural for her to have a last minute doubt of leaving her daughter, while she goes off to the other side of the world.

"It will be good, trust me." I reassured. She studied me intently, while my father set down the last box.

"Don't forget to call us every day. And if something goes wrong, you better believe that we'll be on a plane the minute you call." My dad said. I know that he doesn't want to leave me here, but he is trying to keep the atmosphere light for my mother. She's already been crying this entire week. I have too, but I can't let them know that.

I've wanted to come to Korea for the longest time, I can't back out now. Of course I'm nervous, though. I have no idea if everything will be fine, but that's the kind of thing you just don't tell parents. They have to think that you have it all under control so that they worry a little less.

"I love you, I really do." I stated with a weak smile.

"We love you." My mother said with care.

"I know."

"Mom, dad. Did you see the size of this school's gym?" My brother yelled in excitement. Believe it or not, he's older than me.

"Yes, Karim, we saw it. You have better things to worry about, like saying goodbye to your sister." My mother scolded.

"Its fine, mom." I eased. I really don't mind that he's looking around the school. Any way that helps them cope is okay with me.

Karim and I are unbelievably close, so I know that he will take my move harder than he makes it out to be.

But, it's only for a little while.

My family and I visited with each other a while longer before we bid our goodbyes. They had helped me unpack, but everyone knew that I would end up rearranging it all to my liking.

The thing that I appreciate about these dorms, is that it's pretty separated. We each have separate bedrooms and bathrooms, leaving us to decorate how we please. I like privacy, so this will come in handy.

Really, the only shared places are the kitchen and TV room.

The door opened, bringing me back from my thoughts. It must be my roommate.

Just as I had suspected, a petite girl walked through the door. She appeared to be my age, but was much smaller than I.

Raven black hair fell onto her shoulders, while bangs fell into her eyes.

"Hello! I am Dongmei, your new roommate." She stated with a genuine smile.

I introduced myself, and we started to get to know each other.

I learned that Dongmei is from China, and she had been an exchange student last year as well.

She said that she is very familiar with the school so if I ever need help, she will be there. I greatly appreciated this because I have no sense of direction. I will probably be getting lost frequently.

"Well, it's lunch time soon. We should start heading to the dining room." She said suddenly, and with that, we left.

The dining room won't be difficult to find, thankfully. It is in a convenient location.

Dongmei and I bought lunch, sitting down at a table. I scanned the room, observing faces that could be sharing classes with me tomorrow.

There are a lot of people, and this isn't even everyone. Anxiety started to chill inside of my bones, and she notices.

"Don't be nervous. I know it's a lot of people, but you can do it."

"Thanks, Dongmei."

"Anytime."

* * *

Dongmei had some last minute shopping before school starts tomorrow, but I decided to stay behind. I have everything I need, and I want to get a small look at the place so that I'm not completely caught off guard.

Faint music traveled through the thick walls as I approached a more "low key" side of the school.

Being the curious person that I am, I decided to follow the noise. Anywhere that there is music playing, I am probably not too far behind.

I reached a door where I assume the music was coming from. I understand that it was only instrumental, and no words were sung.

Lightly, I pushed open the door, just enough to peek inside. Thankfully, the hinges of the door did not scream in protest.

Inside I saw someone: he was dancing. I was quite impressed with the way he moved, and I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

I heard some voices in the distance, but I did not want to move. Well, I didn't want to stop watching this boy dance.

"Yah! You messed me up." The boy said, walking over to fetch a water bottle.

"You were doing it wrong anyway." The other boy snickered. "This is how it actually goes." He said, and started to dance.

I stared in awe, completely oblivious to the fact that I could get caught any minute. And I did.

"What are you looking at?" A voice said, causing me to jump.

I put a hand to my heart as a gesture of relief. "Dongmei, you scared me."

"Its not my fault you're doing something that you aren't supposed to." She smirked. "Anyway, we should go back to the dorms before it gets too late. I know you'd rather stare at boys, but rules are rules."

"I wasn't-"

"Yeah, sure. Just hurry up."

I'm just thankful that I was caught by her, and not anyone else.