THIRTY THREE

His head tilted back, causing strands of hair to fall back with it. The dark hair parted, displaying his forehead. My eyes wandered down to his nose, then his lips. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed, causing me to let out a small sigh.

He was truly a human masterpiece.

The way that the sun shined on his perfectly clear skin, giving it a glow effect. Despite the cuts and bruises, of course. But even he made those look beautiful.

And his eyelids, they were gently closed. All of this was enough to make me go crazy.

"How did I get so lucky?" I mumble to myself.

A smirk tugged at Kai's lips.
Then I was greeted with his brown eyes.

"Actually, that's what I was thinking," he cleverly replied, lacing his fingers with mine.

I hummed a response, feeling too lazy to form any words. The warm air made me feel quite relaxed, as I'm not used to it yet. Kai, on the other hand, enjoys every bit of the sun's rays.

"Where do you want to eat, sweetie?" He spoke, looking around for restaurants.

"You can choose," I offered, recognizing that this is not my day.

"Aish," he groaned, rubbing his eyes.
I gave him a puzzled look after his unexplained complaints.

"What's the matter?"

"He is here."

"Who?" I gush, rising to my tip toes to get a better view of the crowd. Kai rolled his eyes at my enthusiasm, not finding it amusing in any way.

"Jiseok," Kai mumbled into my ear, as if the unknown boy could hear us from where he's standing.

I lean back, gazing at my favorite pair of orbs. "I don't know who that is," I admit.

Kai gives a quick nod before answering.
"That's very good."

"Why is it so good?" By now, the curiosity was burning inside of me.

"Because he knows who you are."

Oddly enough, a moderately tall boy came sauntering in our direction. I looked up at Kai to see his entire demeanor change.

He really did not like this kid.

"Ari!" The boy called once he reached a closer distance to us. I panicked, holding tightly onto Kai's hand.

He let out a small breath of contentment, as he didn't have to walk any farther. But his expression shifted once he saw my hand linked with the bad boy's.

"Um," Jiseok cleared his throat. "How are you?"

"I'm-"

"She's fine," Kai cut in dauntingly, not even allowing me to answer the question that was directed towards me. "Now if you don't mind, we've got-"

"Actually, I mind." He daringly responded.
I felt Kai's fingers digging into my skin.

"Respect your elders," Kai spat.

"What do you mean?"
My eyes shifted back and forth between the two boys; it's like I'm witnessing a potential fight.

"It's rude to interrupt me."

"Okay, I'm sorry," Jiseok muttered in defeat. His hazel eyes then met mine, staring deeply. I could feel the impatience radiating off of Kai.

"Have a nice day," I stated kindly.
But I'm going to pay for that later.

Suddenly, my arm was yanked and I was pulled away from the scene. By now, I'm used to Kai's anger-filled actions. I've learned to just go with it, not protesting in any form.

I beamed at him, but he couldn't really see. He was too busy pulling me into the car.
Recently, I've found his possessiveness to be a little cute. I'm glad he cares about me enough to stake his claims.

"Jongin~" I cooed his birthname. "Don't be angry."

"I'm not angry," he spoke through gritted teeth. But I was smart enough to know that's a front.

"Okay," I replied with a giggle. "But why do you hate that poor boy? I think he did nothing to you."

"Ari," he began. There was a brief moment of silence before he continued. "I know you're a smart girl. So I'm going to give you a friendly reminder, okay?"

"Okay, go for it."

"Don't ever defend a boy that is not me. If I have something against a man, it is for the right reasons. I do not hate without reason."

"I know," I said, leaning back in my seat.

By now we were already driving back.
It made me remember that we haven't eaten, and I really wish we had.

"He likes you," Kai said, turning down the volume of the radio.

"What?"

"Don't act dumb."

"Sorry, I'm just a little shocked...." My voice trailed off, as it always does.

I still don't understand. One minute I'm staring at the boy I've been blessed with, and the next minute-- well, something happens. Something that I don't necessarily need to happen.

Being with him is like living in a whirlwind.
But I can always find pleasure in that mess.

"That 'poor boy' likes my girl." He growled, but I don't think he was really speaking it to me. I think he was just saying it out loud, not intending to make conversations over it. That's why I didn't respond.
"No one is allowed to like my girl," he whispered. But my heart dropped. I could hear the sadness in his small voice, even though it was in the form of a whisper.

"Are you hungry?" I ask quietly.

"Yeah, a little."
He shifted in his seat, straightening up his back. If I wasn't mistaken, I saw his face slightly scrunch up.

"Kai, you need to start wearing your back brace again."

He nodded, reaching behind his seat. I watched carefully as he took out a stash of small candies that were hidden underneath a pile of already-used hoodies.

"And eating properly," I blurted, taking the candy from his hands. He shot me a pout, whimpering like a small puppy.

"I already do both of those things."

"You lie," I stifle a giggle.

"How do you know I haven't worn my brace?"
A subtle look of fear ran across his face.

"When I hug you, and don't feel a thick piece of material wrapped around your torso."

"Whatever," he stated. "I'll start wearing it again."
His large hand was still wrapped around the steering wheel. I could feel the vehicle shifting a bit, but I was focused on him.

"And when do you plan on doing that?" I ask with a smile.

But before he could respond, Kai's long arm reached out in front of me. It was an action to keep me from flying forward, because I had forgotten to wear my seatbelt.

Something was happening with the car, but I don't know what exactly. It was like time slowed down, and came to a halt.

My vision fogged up, and the last thing I remember hearing was the phrase 'I love you, it's going to be okay' frantically rolling off his lips before it all went black.