Miss Me More - Caius Volturi

A/N: Inspired by the song Miss Me More by Kelsea Ballerini

***

Loving Caius Volturi meant change. Lots of it. After all he was a king and you were just you.

"There are certain expectations if you're going to be with me," he'd said one night as you sat by the fire.

Your eyes snapped to him in surprise. "What sort of expectations?"

He gave you that soft smile you loved so much. The one that had you agreeing to that first date. "Nothing major, my love. Just a few little...changes."

***

Jane stood in front of you holding a dress nicer than anything you'd ever worn. You shook your head. "That's a little over the top, isn't it? I'm just walking around the castle. What's wrong with what I normally wear?"

"Your clothes were fine when you were simply a member of the guard, but you represent Master Caius now. Your appearance reflects on him." She smiled at you, waiting for you to comply.

You sighed and took the dress from her. You had your own funky style and you loved it. This dress so wasn't you. "Can I at least go shopping and get some dresses that are more me?"

Jane's smile grew tight. "That is unnecessary. Your closet has already been filled with the appropriate attire."

"Oh." You slipped into the dress and turned for Jane to see.

She clapped her hands together. "Perfect. Now, I'll help you with your makeup."

"I can do my own makeup," you assured her.

"Master Caius has suggested that I help you find a more neutral style."

You felt a pang in your chest. Were you really so wrong the way you were? You picked up your favorite signature red lipstick and showed it to her. "But—"

She snatched the tube from your hand and threw it in the trash. "Let's try a nice light coral instead."

***

You'd spent the evening entertaining vampires from another coven. You felt like a stranger in your own skin. This dress. The makeup. It just wasn't you.

"You were very quiet this evening," Caius observed as he escorted you back to his room. "Are you alright?"

You simply hummed hoping he'd take it as an affirmative. You'd had a knot in your belly since Jane had shown up with the dress and were afraid of what you'd say if you opened your mouth.

He nodded in thought. "Your appearance was perfect. Nicely done, my sweet."

You twisted your hands together wondering how long you were expected to wear the dress. Somehow you thought Caius would be displeased if you donned your favorite sweats.

"I'll have Jane replace your footwear," your love said almost absently.

Your brow furrowed. "What?"

He smiled as he moved to you and placed his hands on your waist. He pressed a kiss to your lips. "You and I are nearly the same height, Y/N. Three-inch heels make you taller than me. That's hardly appropriate."

***

Caius walked into your room with a frown. You set your book aside. "What is it?"

"I understand you went shopping with Demetri and Felix yesterday," he said.

You frowned. They were your best friends. He knew that. He also said you could only go if you took guards with you. You didn't see the problem. "What of it?"

He crossed his arms over his chest. "It isn't appropriate for someone of your station to befriend the guard."

You stood to your feet and mirrored his position. "I am the guard."

"No. You were the guard. Now, you are my companion. Next time take Afton and Sebastian. I wish for you to limit your time with Demetri and Felix." And with that, he turned and left the room.

***

It was one thing after another. You were too loud. Too quiet. Too reckless. Too careful. Every day they chipped away a little more of who you were. And you let them. You let them form you into the perfect partner for Caius because you loved him. Couldn't live without him. And this is what he wanted. Wasn't it?

"This isn't working, Y/N," he said to you one afternoon.

You blinked in shock. "What do you mean?" Your voice broke and you hated it but felt like you'd earned it.

"You're just not the woman I fell in love with anymore. Your very presence used to bring joy to my life. Now...We're done. I'll have your things moved to your old rooms."

***

You stayed in your room for a week. Everyone thought you were mourning. Coming to terms with the end of the relationship. In reality, you were finding yourself again. You had the dresses sent back to Caius's room along with the shoes. You snuck out one cloudy afternoon and replaced your wardrobe and found that perfect shade of red lipstick.

At the end of that week, you dressed in your favorite outfit including your boots with the five-inch heels. You painted your lips red and blasted the playlist that Caius hated. Halfway through the third song there was a knock at your door. You swung it open to find Demetri and Felix smiling at you.

You squealed in happiness and threw your arms around their necks. Demetri looked you over as you released him. "You look good. You look like you. How are you?"

"I'm...happy to be me."

***

Nearly six months after Caius had broken things off with you, he came across you in the gardens. You were playing some song he hated while you danced around with Demetri and Felix. His eyes followed you as you laughed and twirled as you sparkled in the sun. You were well and truly happy and he felt that familiar tug he used to have with you. That desire to be with you and only you.

He started to approach you until you twirledinto Demetri's arms and he kissed you soundly. You laughed again, the sweetsound filling the air. Caius gave you one last longing look before disappearingback into the cold castle.