Broken Souls - Severus Snape

When Harry Potter was four years old, Dudley Dursley demanded a sibling. A sister to be precise. Petunia and Vernon immediately fell in love with the idea of a daughter to spoil as much as their perfect son and headed off to the orphanage, Dudley in tow. And while Dudley got a new sister that day, Harry got a cousin that didn't treat him like shit.

Then in one of life's great ironies, shortly after your sixth birthday (which was the day before Harry's) you proved to be just as much of a 'freak' as your cousin when Dudley wouldn't stop picking on Harry. Your hands fisted at your sides and your brother found himself suddenly twenty feet away as you screamed at him to stop.

Of course, your new family refused to believe that you had been the cause and blamed poor Harry even when you told them it was you. When one too many unexplained things occurred when he wasn't around, they were forced to admit the truth. You, their baby girl, their sissy, were a 'freak'. When your so-called parents tried to treat you with the same level of love and affection they showed their nephew, Dudley forbade it. You were still his sissy even if you had caught Harry's freakishness. And wasn't that a fantastic theory? Harry was to blame for it all. As such, it only made sense that he pay the price for your freakishness.

It was no surprise then that by the time the two of you received your Hogwarts' letters that Harry hated you almost as much as the rest of your family. All in all, it made life rather lonely. Even when you came to Hogwarts, Harry immediately became part of the trio while you remained a loner. Then in your second year Luna Lovegood joined you in Ravenclaw and the two of you became instant friends.

At the beginning of your fourth year, Harry had been particularly nasty to you one afternoon. His hatred of the fact you'd spent most of your summer with the Lovegoods' seeping into his sharp words. As usual, you said nothing in response, simply standing there and taking his abuse. Suddenly, Harry's tirade cut off and a heavy hand fell on your shoulder.

"Twenty-five points from Gryffindor for verbally attacking another student, Potter." Professor Snape's rumbling deep voice eased some of the tension from your shoulders. Potions was your favorite class and you'd always liked the prickly professor for some reason. "Fifteen more for your language."

Harry glared and his mouth twisted as he prepared to argue, but Hermione tugging on his arm stopped him. Giving you one last nasty look, he turned and stomped away.

You swallowed the lump in your throat. "Thank you, professor." Your voice was soft, barely there as you tried desperately not to give into the threatening tears.

He made a sound of agreement before squeezing your shoulder gently. "Come with me, Ms. Dursley." He left his hand on your shoulder and steered you to his office in the dungeons. Once you'd made it inside, he led you to chair. "Sit. Are you comfortable with me shutting the door?"

You nodded your head. "Of course, professor." Not only did you trust the man implicitly, there were wards on the castle that immediately alerted the headmaster if a student should be attacked. Not that they seemed to do much good half the time, you admitted to yourself.

As he took the seat behind his desk, a tea service appeared and he poured you a cup before passing it over for you to prepare it to your taste. "Now, explain to me, Ms. Dursley, where this animosity between you and Harry Potter comes from."

That was the first of many meetings you would have with Severus Snape over the years. At first they were infrequent, once a month or so but by the time you returned to Hogwarts for your fifth year, it had become a weekly occurrence. Now you were three weeks into your final year and you were avoiding Severus like the plague. He was bound to notice, of course he was. He wasn't an idiot. But you had no idea how to go about having the conversation you needed to have with him.