Need You - Geralt of Rivia

You stepped into the Rotten Pig and ran your gaze over the patrons. It was a horrible name for a pub but setting eyes on the cliental told you how they may have arrived upon it. No witcher. Damn it. You'd been trying to find Geralt for weeks. Every time you thought you'd caught up to him, you'd discover he'd left days before.

A familiar tune caught your ear and you followed it across the room. You grinned when Jaskier came into view behind a rather rowdy group. If anyone knew where Geralt was, it would be the bard. You leaned against a pole, arms crossed over your chest as you listened to him perform.

"Nicely done, bard," you called as he finished.

He turned with wide eyes and grinned when he saw it was you. A moment later he was in front of you shaking your hand enthusiastically. "Y/N! I haven't seen you in an age. How are you? Any tales you'd care to share with your favorite bard?"

"What do you need my tales for? Geralt is far more interesting than me."

Jaskier's smile fell into a sour look. "Yes, well Geralt doesn't appreciate me like you do."

You huffed and sat at a nearby table. He took the seat across from you. "He likes you. He's just grumpy."

"That's an understatement if I ever heard one. He's worse since you left. Downright miserable he is."

Part of you was happy to hear it. After all, Geralt had been the one to declare that he didn't need your help after you saved him from a particularly nasty clawing. You weren't about to stick around where you weren't wanted. Even if you did make more money with him at your side. For some reason people hesitated to hire a lone female to rid them of their monster problem. It didn't help that your gear had you looking like anything but a witch.

"Where is he, Jaskier?"

"In the swamp. Bloedzuiger keeps attacking people traveling on the road."

You curled your lip. Bloedzuigers were basically giant leeches that spat acid. "Well, that won't make a very pretty ballad will it?"

The bard tilted his head from side to side as if he was considering it. Before he could say anything, the door slammed open. Geralt filled the opening. He was dirty and bloody but appeared mostly unharmed. Your gaze trailed him as he walked over to the man sitting at the end of the bar. A merchant if you'd tagged him right. A merchant who suddenly looked very nervous.

"Bloedzuiger's dead. So are the drowners. I'll take the rest of my pay now." Geralt's deep, rough voice sent a chill through you. Gods, you'd missed that voice.

"I paid you up front, Witcher. Even made a point of telling people that I'd done so. You aren't getting more out of me now." Sweat beaded on the lying man's brow as his gaze darted around the room. Probably looking for someone to back him up.

Geralt hummed. "I wouldn't kill a ghoul for what you gave me up front."

"That's not my problem. I paid and you did the work. It's not like you can bring the creature back to life." The merchant seemed very proud of himself. As if he'd pulled some great trick on the witcher.

You sighed and stood. Geralt didn't need your help. He had his own ways to get his payment, but none of them would endear him to the townspeople. "He might not be able to, but I can." You couldn't actually, but they didn't know that.

Geralt turned with a lifted brow. He ran his eyes over your length and back up. The corner of his mouth kicked up ever so slightly. "Y/N."

"Geralt," you responded with your own twitch of the lips. Your gaze shifted back to the man at his side. "Now, about that payment."