His Shirt - Rafael Barba (Law and Order:SVU)

A/N: I seriously love this one a little. Hope you do too.

***

"Sorry. Sorry. Sorry," you rattled off as you hurried into Rafael Barba's office. You were testifying in one of his cases today and were supposed to have met him here half an hour ago so you could go over everything one more time.

"Where have you been?" he asked as he stood from his desk. It was only then that he got a good look at you. "Y/N? My god, what happened? Are you okay?"

You glanced down at your shirt with a grimace. "I am. My clothing not so much. Some idiot decided to rob my favorite coffee shop this morning while I was grabbing my morning cup. Coffee's mine. Blood's his."

"Well, you can't go to court looking like that." He opened the bottom drawer of his desk and pulled out a neatly folded dress shirt. He tossed it in your direction and you caught it easily.

You frowned at him in question.

"Just wear it. We don't have time for anything else," he instructed as he turned back to the file on his desk. When he realized that you were still standing there, he glanced up. "What are you waiting for, Y/L/N?"

You resisted the urge to roll your eyes and hurried to the bathroom. The lawyer was always so bossy. You'd be lying though if you didn't admit it turned you on just a bit. You were pretty sure you had started falling for the DA from the moment you met him. Eighteen months of flirting had thus far gotten you a remarkable friendship with the man, but that was all.

Switching out the shirts was quick and you turned to look yourself over in the mirror. It was obviously a man's shirt but you didn't think it looked too bad. You left a couple of buttons undone at the top and pulled the collar out wide to make it a little more feminine. After discarding your ruined top in the trash, you made you way back to Rafael's office.

"All right, Rafi. You ready to go?"

He glanced up and nodded before flipping the file closed. The corner of your mouth quirked up as he did a double take. His arched brows indicated his surprise as his eyes ran over you from top to bottom. Finally, he cleared his throat and turned to get his stuff together. "The shirt suits you."

You leaned against the doorframe, not moving even as he came to stand in front of you. Your tongue darted out to moisten your lips. "I'll return it later."

"That's not necessary. You should keep it. It looks good." His voice was lower, rougher than you were used to hearing from him. He took a step toward you, closing the distance. "In fact, maybe you should wear my clothes more often."

Your face heated as you sucked in a breath. And the smirk that crossed his face told you that he knew exactly what he was doing to you. It wasn't often the man flirted back and you took care to enjoy it when he did. But now wasn't the time. Both of you needed to get to court. You stepped out of the doorway and to the side. "After you, counselor."

***

Rafi had won his case and insisted on a celebratory dinner with you. He hadn't been very discrete when he asked you however so it ended up being the two of you and six of your co-workers. The meal and conversation were fantastic and you'd caught Barba staring at you more than once during the course of the evening.

By the time everyone was ready to head home, your skin was heated and you had to keep yourself from grabbing Barba by his lapels and kissing him senseless. You lived near Carisi so he offered to drive you home. Rafi hugged you which wasn't unusual. Him whispering, "Goodnight, carino" in your ear before he kissed your temple most certainly was.

You just stared after him as he left until Sonny steered you to his car. When he dropped you off, you gave him a rushed thank you and ran inside. After taking care of a couple of things, you grabbed your keys and headed for your own little used vehicle. Most days you walked, used public transport or snagged a ride with Sonny.

It didn't take you long to get to Rafi's apartment. He sounded surprised that you were there but didn't hesitate before telling you to come on up. You knocked on his door and shifted your weight on your feet as you waited for him to answer. He quickly appeared wearing a t-shirt and sweats. "Is something wrong, Y/N?"

You licked your lips nervously. Now that you were here, you weren't certain you could go through with this. What if you had misread everything? What if you were giving his flirting more weight than it warranted? God you were an idiot.

"Y/N?"

Rafi's voice drew you back to the present and you smiled. "I just really felt the need to return your shirt, Rafi."

His brow furrowed in confusion. "Now?"

You nodded and undid the belt at your waist that held your trench coat closed. It fell open followed immediately by Rafi's mouth. His eyes blew wide with desire as his gaze traveled over you dressed only in his shirt.

His tongue darted out to moisten his lips. "You're still wearing my shirt, carino."

"I am," you answered with a nod.

His eyes locked on yours. "I could have sworn you were wearing pants earlier."

You shrugged. "So did you want it back or did you still want me to keep it?"

His large hands settled on your hips and tugged you forward until you were pressed against his chest. "You can wear it home Sunday," he said by way of answer.

"It's only Friday, Rafi," you pointed out, feeling rather breathless.

"I know." And finally you got the kiss you'd been waiting eighteen months for as he walked backward into his apartment taking you with him.