Be Prepared - Owen Grady - Jurassic World (Pt. 2)

You woke with a groan. Every part of you hurt and you hadn't even tried to move yet. The area around you had fallen silent. No dinosaurs growling or people screaming. Chompy hadn't been gone for long though if the lack of birds in the area was any indication. That's when you realized you also weren't hearing chatter in your earpiece. You reached up to find it still in place, but completely dead.

Further inspection revealed that your camera and handheld were dead as well. Your phone was missing and the wrist monitor that recorded your vitals, amongst other things, was shattered. Shit. How hard had you hit the damn tree?

You eased yourself into a sitting position and pain flared through your back. It didn't surprise you as it had born the bulk of the impact. You used the tree to help you get to your feet. As soon as you put weight on your right leg, you screamed and collapsed back to the dirt. The edges of your vision went black and you sucked in a breath. Son of a bitch.

You pulled the tear in your pants open to see the leg within. Apparently Chompy had lived up to her name. The leg was in bad shape though it was impossible for you to judge just how severe the damage was. You tightened the strap on your thigh holster so it would act like a tourniquet. You looked around and found a large stick that you could use to help support your weight. Once again you got to your feet but this time you managed to remain upright with the help of the makeshift walking stick.

You needed help or at the very least a way to let someone know you were alive. With the Indominus on the loose, they would evacuate the island and you sure as hell didn't want to stay behind to hang with the dinosaurs. Your thoughts briefly turned to Owen but you quickly brought them back on topic. If you were going to survive, you would need all your wits about you. You could worry about him later.

Finding one of the vehicles gone and the other trashed did nothing to help your mood. That meant you were going to have to walk or whatever version of it you could accomplish with your leg fucked up. You turned in a slow circle to get your bearings which didn't take you long. There were several directions you could go to find help but the visitor's center for the old park was closest.

There wouldn't be anyone there obviously, but you'd stashed a storage locker there ages ago with supplies and medical equipment. It also held a spare radio. You had never appreciated your tendency to be overprepared more. You clenched your teeth and used your walking stick to pull you forward. What you wouldn't give for a heavy dose of painkillers right now.

***

By the time the visitor's center appeared on the horizon, tears were flowing freely down your face. You were in agony and wanted nothing more than to just sit on the ground and wait for someone to find you. Or a dinosaur to eat you. You weren't sure you really had a preference at this point.

Fortunately, when you'd stashed the trunk, you'd placed it just inside the door so it could be easily found. As soon as you were inside you lowered yourself to the ground and flung the lid open. You pulled supplies out, piling them beside you. Your dry throat was thrilled with the bottle of water you downed. You placed a second bottle within easy reach then tugged out the heavy med kit and the radio.

It didn't take long for you to determine the radio wasn't going to work. The entire communication system on the island had been upgraded at least twice and you couldn't get the channel you needed on the old handheld. You tossed it aside and shifted your focus to the med kit.

The first thing you dug out was the pain reliever. After swallowing a double dose, you started to take inventory of anything that might help with your leg. Your head and your shoulder were bleeding as well, but you couldn't see either of them to assess the damage. Besides, it was the leg that would kill you if you didn't take care of it.