fourteen

14 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬

         𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐈 have thought that I would be bunching up a golden-colored hat so it sat loose on my head. Or be snuggled in a borrowed Quidditch jumper from Maeve.

Never would I have thought that my resentment against Quidditch matches would be broken or that I would allow my perfectly flawed sensibility to be changed into something as completely maddening as this was.

Yet after following the endless hour of protesting from Maeve, my state-of-mind had shifted and I was set out to attend the first match of the season; Hufflepuff vs. Ravenclaw.

My first Quidditch match was destined to be, well, eventful. I had no set expectations, yet I didn't know if I would be longing to be somewhere else with my books or if I would actually enjoy the athletic game at hand.

I smoothed the white fabric of the jumper down for what seemed to be the fifth time. The sight was unbelievable; Me, wearing a Quidditch jumper and on my way to an actual match.

My eyes aligned with my motions as I rotated to glance at my frame from the back. I paused then, unmeaning to, as the numbering on the back made me think of another piece of clothing I had—Cedric's gray oversized jumper.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about wearing it today. I decided against it though as the sight would most likely set off all my friends into an interrogation.

There was also the fact that Cedric and I hadn't spoken or as so much glanced at each other in weeks. He had been trying to talk to me, to spew a few owls to my dormitory window or to catch my wavering attention through the halls, but it all went ignored by me.

I had convinced myself it was better that way.

Even so, his jumper was lodged in the back of my closet. I hadn't worn it since before the time I caught the sight of Cedric and Cho kissing in front of me.

I didn't even wear it often, the thought of it belonging to Cedric was so beyond me. Although there was one restless night where the worn fabric and slight cinnamon smell lulled my heavy head to drift off into sleep. I would never even admit that to a single soul though, but bringing the thought up of his jumper again made my—

"Would you stop fussing with the hat, Sage?"

My eyes flickered from my reflection in the mirror over to the doorway where Maeve stared back at me, frowning and looking quite irratated.

"I would, but it doesn't look right on me." I scowled and fussed around with the knit beanie again, my brows stubbornly arched. My hair was tied in a low and loose knot and the hat sat strange as a result.

"That's because you've never worn it before." She paced over to where I stood and flicked my hand away. "We're going to be late if you don't hurry up!" She huffed and turned back into the doorway, calling for Elaine.

After yelling down to the common room, she turned her figure turned back and she stared directly at me for a moment. She tilted her head and her mouth pulled into a slight smile, "You look good by the way."

A warm smile was reciprocated on my end as I watched her duck out of the room. My eyes refocused back onto the reflective surface—I didn't believe her.

As soon as I was left alone in the dimly lit room, my eyes settled down into a drooped placement, dark shadows encircling over the surface of my eyes.

I never was one to study my reflection constantly or pick apart every miniscule detail of my facial features. I never even as so much looked in a mirror daily, just an occasional glance as I passed by.