one

01 𝐬𝐨 𝐢 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞

          𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘; it's what I'm used to and it's how the entirety of my life has been spent—so far, at least. But most importantly, it's safe.

Safe from the crazy components of others life's—that I have no interest in complying to—like rule-breaking that results in a detention, defeating a Basilisk only in your second year and other entirely maddening predicaments that have occurred at Hogwarts.

I've found it to be easy to become one with the background, striding along life with intentions set clear and with a few others by my side.

So when I'm meandering through dim corridors on the first morning of classes, rushing with my robe swaying behind me and I catch sight of the awfully familiar blonde hair and emerald green robes from the opposing side of the corridor, I knew this day was about to become anything but ordinary.

The boy confidently stalked along—as if he ran the whole entire castle—with his two minions right beside him who mimicked his every move.

I let out an exasperated sigh, keeping my eyes focused on my shoes. If I moved along quietly, then there was a chance that I could go unrecognized.

Yet, my shoe squeaks on the surface of floor, position revealed, and heads turn in my direction. I knew then what was dreadfully coming my way.

Because Draco Malfoy and I were not a pair to mix. We've never been fond of each other, despite our year difference. Our constant disputes between us had been going on for far too long, and as we got older, I found our altercations only getting further more intense.

His personality enraged me and any words that left his mouth immediately annoyed me. And I assume he only felt the exact way towards me, as he was much more expressive than myself.

His eyes run quickly over me, scoffing a bit, "What's the deal with those glasses? Turning into a librarian?" He gathers snickers from the two Slytherins besides him and he takes a chance to whisper a cold, "Not surprised at all."

Of course—the one day I was too rushed to put contacts in, I have a run in with Draco.

My cheeks burned pink with irritation, lips firmly pressing together before I turned my head to catch a glimpse at the emerald green robes.

"I'm really not in the mood for this today." I sighed back in an rather aggravated tone, trying my hardest to squeeze myself out of the situation.

There's been times when my voice grows angry around Draco, muscles so tense I think sometimes that they'll act on their own accord. Mostly, he erupts a heated aspect of myself that only occurs in short tempered bursts, fueled purely by adrenaline and adrenaline only.

"Oh, feeling feisty today, aren't you Brooks?" Draco sneered in his usual grating voice, and I didn't even have to look to know that he had a troublesome smirk plastered across his face.

I stopped my tracks, shoes squeaking again at my sudden halt. I now found Draco, Crabbe and Goyle face-to-face with me, overtaken by cocky grins.

I reluctantly stepped backwards when Draco started to inch closer to me though. Even in the dim-lighting of the hallway, the devilish look that filled his eyes was overwhelming.

There was an urge to turn my eyes down to face the floor, as I knew he was capable of cynical things that were beyond comprehensible.

Apparently though, I didn't care in that moment's time.