thirteen

13 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 one thing that I couldn't stand, it was awkward situations—as ordinary and as small-minded as it sounds.

It doesn't help if you've already got an awkward natured bone, like me atlas. It sent my insides into mush.

My hatred applies to this moment right now, actually. Though it's a little different, because this situation is much more grave and having to deal with a person I didn't so much like at the moment, a person I had been quite frankly avoiding.

This moment is ironic. I stand open-mouthed with a dung-bomb in hand. A firecracker in the other. Totally isolated in the hallway—at least in sight of anyone else.

Because Maeve, Claire, Elaine, Landon, the Weasley twins—all my friends are placed behind the corner and out of sight. Leaving me with all the blame.

And Cedric Diggory stands facing me, not amused, angry actually. Hands-on-his-hips kind of angry. The look on his face—it pierces through me with its strength.

It took him a moment for that expression to perspire, as soon as he laid eyes on me he only look utterly surprised until the realization that I—or so he thoughtwas the one who had set off the bombs and the fireworks right outside of the prefect office hit him.

I didn't even want to be in this situation, this totally lousy and completely awkward situation.

But, it was all thanks to Maeve, starting with a pop of an idea in her ever-genius brain of hers. Let me add, this is nearly how all situations begin. In her mind, maybe they even work out well.

I had walked into our dormitory after lunch, hair tangled and ink smudges on my hands after a full day of classes. My bed was calling to me, yet I was met with two things. One of which was the sight of Maeve's bed—covered with a withered map that took up every inch of the mattress.

And second was George Weasley—in the girls dormitory.

The sight beckoned my lips to fall open and that was when Maeve noticed my presence.

"How—" I began, but Maeve was quick to interrupt.

"Sage, hi." Her words were surprised, appearing to be uncertain at my reaction. That and maybe just because of the fact that we weren't talking as much as usual, which was caused by the rush of admitted feelings she had spewed out days before. Also not to mention my lack of condolence.

I felt my eyes widen at the casualty of it all. I didn't answer her, instead, I said to George, "How in Merlin did you even get in here?" I spun to the door, haphazardly motioning to the staircase that was behind the room. "The stairs...they...move."

George's eyebrows crinkled, a moment of contemplation passed before, "I'm not sure if using the name of Merlin in vane works in that context—but, it was simple really," He gets up from his seat on Maeve's cluttered bed, picking up his wand. "Indeed they do move, but it turns out a Confundus Charm works wonders."

I shake my head, attempting to shake off muggy confusion. "Alright, well—why?"

"We're coming up with a plan." Maeve interludes, barely smiling. After a second of consideration on her part and a tug of her lips comes, "You want in?"

My drowsy eyes narrow, moving towards my bed that I knew would provide the utmost comfort to my aching bones and I felt too drawn in.

"If it's involving you," I motion my head towards George and keep my expression skeptical. My mind wanders then toward all the pranks I've heard about that the infamous Weasley Twins have conducted and red flags wave in my brain. "I don't want in."