five

05 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐬

𝐈 𝐒𝐇𝐑𝐔𝐆𝐆𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐅𝐅 my slightly wrinkled robes and tossed them onto the wooden floor, pulling everything out of my bag. I was starting to tackle my awaiting schoolwork, when a loud and mysterious sounding thump caused me to freeze in place, sounding like it came from the girls side of the dorms.

I turned rapidly to look at Claire, who was no longer on the verge of falling asleep, sprawled out on the honey-colored sofa.

We stared at each other with the same frightened look on our face, before we scrambled up onto our feet and off the couch. I took small and hesitant steps across the deserted common room, with Claire carefully looming behind me.

"What do you think that was?" She frantically stammered out, obviously very haunted by the unknown source of the loud racket upstairs.

"It's probably just Estella again." I assured her, but even I had no clue what it could possibly be. I had made sure to grab my wand off the table, just incase.

Even though the whole dementor dilemma happened last year, and even though Dumbledore insisted that everything was resolved, you never knew what could happen at Hogwarts.

Another booming pound could be heard coming from our shared dorm, which made Claire let out a small yelp. I led the way through the hallway, finally ending up in front of the door that lead to our dorm.

I reached down to the brass handle to unlatch the door, now feeling Claire gripping onto my arm so tight in fear, that it felt like she would rip it off at any second.

I pushed the door wide open, frenetically scanning my eyes across our dorm, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. Just Maeve's messy area of her room standing out like a sore thumb right next to my portion and my bed, which was spotless and neatly organized.

"I think you can let go now Claire." I said, laughing at the way she hesitated to release my arm, panicky about the whole situation.

A third loud thumping noise made both of our heads turn rapidly towards the right, where I spotted a light brown owl, attempting to make its way through the glass of the window.

"Oh, the poor thing!" I rushed over to the window to unlatch it as fast as I possibly could—my clumsily fashioned hands made the job a lot harder than it had to be.

The unfamiliar barn owl instantly swooped into our room, looping once around before it landed on the windowsill. In it's small beak, hung a sealed cream colored envelope.

I met eyes with Claire who seemed to be urging me to take it. So, I carefully removed the letter from the owl's beak, who flapped it's wings once and flipped around into the air without a sound being made.

I watched the sandy brown feathers drift further along in the clear sky, before I turned my eyes down to the envelope. I flipped it to the other side, now seeing that my name was scribbled onto the front in particularly neat handwriting, that I didn't recognize.

"Someone owled you Sage?" Claire gasped excitedly, which was rather the complete opposite of my current state.

It was rather strange to be receiving an owl at this time of day, the post usually arriving at breakfast. Which is why I stared blankly at the envelope, not willing to open it and reveal the mystery it held inside any time soon. My arms felt unnecessarily heavy.

"Well, are you going to open it or what?" Claire blurted out, now standing right next to me and peering over my shoulder eagerly.