three

03 𝐢 𝐬𝐚𝐰 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐬

          𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 aroma of tea leaves lingered throughout the dreary classroom, but it wafted away as I stepped through the doorway with Hadyn by my side.

So far things had been simply normal, familiar even as classes dragged on, and I relied on books to keep me company during the night—per usual. It was just like every other year; completely and utterly normal. And I fully intended to keep it like that.

The rest of the uneventful week had moved along rather quickly and I found that Monday had already approached. On this morning after a lengthy, and not to mention boring Divination lesson, I was flaunting the exact opposite of a cheerful mood.

"What a load of nonsense Trelawney is." Is all I said to Hadyn, who looked almost as frayed as I was from the tedious lesson. We had made quick word to get a distance from the classroom and all of Professor Trelawney's endless droning.

Hadyn feverishly nodded his head in agreement before he joked half-heartedly, "I swear she's gotten even crazier since last year."

I started to step onto the spiral staircase while laughing softly at his remark, which lightened the mood only slightly. Our sluggish steps clucked against the marble surface, but the silence between us was as obvious as ever and it held nothing but discomfort.

It was inevitable that things had been rather strange between Hadyn and I. Ever since the 1st day of classes, it was as if a constant wave of uneasiness fell over us; unavoidable and pesky. So, it made sense that he was avoiding me—he did a rubbish job at being discreet about it—and I just decided not to pester.

But the quietness broke away when the coiled staircase had straightened out, and no more steps were to be taken. We had ended up at the emerge of the corridor that was bustling with other pacing students.

Hadyn spun to face me, in a fairly urgent matter, as soon as we had stepped off the staircase. He then exhaled a significant breath, glancing around at the stream of people as he did. I narrowed my eyes at his current unusual state, as he seemed abnormally worried.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked.

I turned my wandering gaze to meet with his barely blue eyes, noting how they appeared to be sort of panic-stricken.

I issued an approving but equally confused nod, and he stepped away from the crowd. I assumed that meant I should go along with him, so I followed his stride until we were on the side of the staircase, leaning against the wall.

Hadyn didn't say anything. He just stood silently; gaze focused on the floor and posture stiff with uncertainty. But, he was clearly pondering what to say next, as his eyebrows were so scrunched up together in thought, that thick lines formed in-between. I decided that was enough.

"Is this about why you've been so weird lately?" I finally questioned, surely interjecting his line of thought by now.

My nose slightly crinkled at the mention of his behavior before I added, "If not, I still would like to know why you're in such a rubbish mood."

"It's about that guy." He said all too plainly.

Although, the confused expression on my face didn't change one bit. My still narrowed eyes remained onto on his, awaiting more of an explanation.