Chapter Six

B E L L A M Y

The next day, Noah had left early for whatever he does these days. It gave me a little time alone in the house, and to say I enjoyed it was an understatement.

I hadn't had this much space since I moved out of my parents house, and when I lived alone for a couple of years, it was always in tiny apartments with noisy neighbors, just like the last one I was kicked out of.

But this time, I could blast my music as loud as I wanted, sing along at the top of my lungs, and moan as much as I wanted to while I rubbed myself under the shower.

So that's what I did.

After my eventful morning, I rummaged through the kitchen cupboards for some lunch. Isaac was still at work, and I couldn't care less where Noah was, so I turned up the volume of my series on the TV as I waited for my grilled cheese to be done.

I let out a sigh of satisfaction as the smell of melted cheese and toasted bread filled my nostrils and I turned off the stove. I had perfected my grilled-cheese-making over the years I lived alone, especially since I couldn't really cook anything else.

I was actually happy Noah suggested to order food yesterday evening.

That reminded me...

Grabbing my phone, I placed my half eaten sandwich on my plate, dialing Isaac's number.

"Hey, Bella," he answered almost immediately, and I sat back in my chair.

"Hi, am I interrupting?" I asked, hoping I caught him during his lunch break.

"Not at all, what's up?"

I sighed, thinking of the best way to word my reply. I was definitely being the annoying little sister. "I just wanted to ask if you could tell me beforehand if you aren't going to eat at home. Noah and I figured it out last night," —kind of— "but I'd rather eat somewhere else when you're not here."

The silence on the other end made me nervous, but I wasn't about to retract my statement. If I could avoid being alone with Noah, especially during dinner, I would.

"Bella..." he breathed with a slightly annoyed undertone in his voice.

"Yeah, I know, but—"

"Why do you hate Noah, anyway?"

I knew the dreaded question would come some day, primarily because I hadn't shared any of my struggles with my brother over the years, least of all my past with Noah. Another reason I wasn't about to open up, since I would only hurt his feelings and jeopardize their friendship.

"I..."

I really couldn't do it.

"You know what, let's talk at home. Noah's helping Sebastian on the construction site so he won't be home till late."

I smiled. Isaac really was the most considerate guy I knew, and though he was very good at the big brother role in terms of teasing, in the end he was always there for me.

"Yes," I answered, taking a bite of my lunch—which was a little cold now. "Can you bring dinner with you?"

He chuckled. "Sure, see you later, Bella."

"Bye."

I finished my grilled cheese, making sure to clean up after me before I plopped on the couch. Yes, the weather was nice. Yes, there was a pool for me waiting outside. But I didn't really feel like going out of the house today.