Chapter Twenty-Six

B E L L A M Y

The week went by in a flash, and I felt like I was floating.

I wouldn't call it love yet, but the knowledge that I was slowly getting there scared the shit out of me. I don't think I had ever been in love, and certainly not with an unpredictable bad boy. One I knew nearly nothing about.

The thoughts kept swirling in my head, even when we sat at my parents' dinner table that Saturday.

I couldn't help but glance in Noah's direction every once in a while, and my cheeks were permanently red as he occasionally smirked at me.

"Bella?" My mom brought me back to reality, placing a hand on my arm.

"Hmm?"

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

My heart skipped a beat for a whole different reason now, and I nodded, following her to the backyard.

The sound of crickets surrounded us as we sat down on the plush lounge chairs, and I waited for Mom to talk. "What's up?"

She didn't look upset, but I still got the feeling something was wrong.

"So I tried calling you at work yesterday," she stated, and I couldn't keep my eyes from widening.

"What?" It came out like a whisper, and judging by the expression on her face, I might as well just have dropped the act.

"I was informed that you haven't worked there since spring last year." She crossed her arms, raising a brow. 

I lowered my eyes to my fingers as I fumbled with the hem of my skirt, scared to look up at my mother and see the disappointment in her eyes.

Of course, I knew she would find out one day, but I had hoped that she would hear it from me, and that I might have something better by then.

Though it didn't seem like I was getting something better for a while.

"Bella..." she trailed off, grabbing my hands.

I looked up, feeling incredibly guilty.

"I was going to tell you—"

"Bella," Mom interrupted me, giving me a warm smile. "I'm sorry you felt like you couldn't tell us that you switched jobs."

My eyes got watery, the guilt of keeping stuff from my mom crushing me as I stared into her eyes.

"I just didn't want you to be disappointed," I mumbled, looking back at our hands.

"Oh, baby." She wrapped her arms around me, pulling me against her chest. "It will be alright. You're an amazing young woman, and I believe you are going to do great things."

I sighed against her shoulder, mentally slapping myself in the face for how I've acted.

"I just hope that you share your struggles with me in the future."

I nodded, letting out a long breath as I straightened back up. "I feel like I'm letting you down."

Mom opened her mouth to say something, but Dad interrupted us. "Nora? Want me to prepare dessert?"

My mother nodded quickly, cupping my jaw with her hands and brushing her thumbs over my cheeks. "You're my beautiful, amazing girl, and you could never disappoint me."

She smiled at me, caressing me on the head before she stood up. "Now, let's eat some dessert. We'll talk more another time."

I felt lighter as I followed her into the house. God, I should've just shared my problem with my parents. They never gave me a reason to believe that they were not going to be there for me when times got hard, and I knew they always supported me and my brother. In everything.