Chapter Forty-Two

B E L L A M Y

"You were right, Herra," I said, clamping Gray closer as I looked down at the dark granite tombstone in front of me. "I wish you could meet him."

He babbled something in my arms, and I wiped my tears, smiling at my beautiful baby boy. He looked up at me with his bright emerald eyes, and I sighed.

"I love you, Maria."

Gray played with a strand of my hair, letting out the cutest sounds as he did, and I looked at my watch. It was the first time we had an evening out as a family, and in about half an hour we were supposed to be at my parents' house.

"I'll come back soon." I placed the flowers I brought on the ground in front of me, dusting off some dirt off the tombstone before I turned and walked towards the exit.

Noah leaned against his car, waiting for us, and after we strapped Gray into his car seat, we took off to my childhood home.

"How are you feeling?" Noah asked as he expertly maneuvered out of the parking lot, and I rested my head against the headrest behind me.

It had been a few weeks since Gray and I were discharged from the hospital, and my body was far from being completely healed, but overall, I felt better. My back still ached and my breasts were beyond sensitive, but I started to feel a little more like myself.

"I'm ok," I said, rolling my head in Noah's direction to give him a smile. He rested a hand on my thigh, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

The cutest little sneeze sounded from the backseat, and Noah and I chuckled. I still couldn't believe Noah and I created him, nor that I pushed him out of my body.

"I bet your mother is over the moon about seeing Gray again," Noah stated, steering onto my parent's street.

I reached behind me to tickle my son's belly, smiling at him. "If it were up to her, we would move in with her."

"Hmm." Noah put the car in park and turned to me. A sudden tension filled the car, and my smile faded as I looked at him. We both knew our sex life was non-existent because of me, and even though Noah tried to comfort me, I knew it was bothering him a little bit.

My libido had completely disappeared since Gray was born, and all I could do was hope it would ever return.

"Let's go," I said, pecking Noah quickly on the lips before I stepped out of the car.

"Oh, my baby!" Mom came running out of the house, pulling Gray from my arms and hugging him against her chest.

"Right, hi Mom," I retorted, closing the door of the car and walking towards Noah. He grabbed my hand, shaking his head at my mother who was completely distracted by her grandson as we followed her in.

To say that she was obsessed with him was an understatement, but it made me feel good to see my parents this happy.

"Are you nervous?" Noah asked as he closed the front door behind him, taking my coat.

I chewed on my bottom lip. "I'm not sure. My grandad has always been accepting and supportive, but I have no idea how he will respond to this news."

"I'm sure he'll be happy. Just like me."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing on my toes to press my lips on his. "Are you really? Happy?"

Noah looked in the direction of the living room, his smile fading slightly.

I knew he missed his mother. Even though I didn't know her—apart from the fact that their relationship was strained, I knew he wanted her to be in his life. In Gray's life.