Chapter 10: Li'ella II

LI'ELLA

Dawn had broken, and it was the day of leaving the Scorpion Den at last. It feels like we've been here for ages when it's really only been a week or two, Li'ella mused. She was standing in the Stinger's lobby alongside Tormak and Lundor, waiting for Eris to awaken. She seemed to be in a deep sleep, Li'ella thought, recalling the slumbering eagle with a furrowed brow and tense muscles, so I didn't want to wake her.

Everyone who had joined their cause knew that today was the day they were leaving, meaning there was a lot of movement inside the Stinger. Scolder was barking orders at the scorpion guards, who were coming with them. They'll be our main fighting force, Li'ella thought as she watched the carapaced warriors running by. But will their tails be able to pierce rhino skin, or crocodile scales? Will they be fast enough to evade ravens and wolves? Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Li'ella noticed the door to her room open and cleared her throat, signalling to Tormak and Lundor that their master was here. Indeed, Eris walked out of the room, her red armour and orange wings radiating warmth. "Ah, Your G— Eris," Tormak finished awkwardly. "Thanks for waiting for me," Eris said. "Of course," the tiger replied. "How's everything going?" Eris asked, looking at the scorpions. They were carrying bundles of spears and other weapons outside, where they no doubt had Speedorz and carts to transport them. "The move is going smoothly," Lundor answered. "In about an hour, we'll be ready to head west. After Dracon's Desert, we'll need to get through the Web, but that shouldn't be a problem. Queen Spinlyn hasn't replied to our letter, but she should be an ally. And, with all her money, we'll use her ships to cross the sea and make landfall on Firestone."

"Do you think Spinlyn will lend her forces to us as well, Lundor?" Li'ella asked. "I can't say," he admitted. "She's quite greedy, so she may be reluctant to part with her soldiers or her slaves." Eris wrinkled her beak and recoiled. "Slaves?" she asked. "Yes, Spinlyn has quite a lot of those," Lundor replied. "I knew that," Eris murmured, "but I didn't imagine we'd use them." That's right, Li'ella thought. She's not used to slavery in Chima. "Are you alright, Eris?" Li'ella asked, putting her hands on Eris' shoulder. "I just... someone who came to the Outlands with me was sold as a slave to Spinlyn, I think," Eris replied, looking downcast. "Well then, we'll buy his freedom from her," Tormak declared. "Will he join our cause?"

"Probably," Eris answered. "He came with me to the Outlands to protect me after I gave a speech in the Rocklands. And I gave that speech without being controlled by—" Eris suddenly stopped speaking and covered her mouth, as if she had said something she wasn't supposed to. "Eris?" Li'ella asked. "Sorry," she apologized. "There's nothing to apologize for, Eris," Tormak said. "But I swear to you, we will free your friend." Smiling, Eris nodded and began heading for the door. "Uh, we're not ready to depart just yet," Lundor said, but Eris shook her head. "I'm not doing that yet," she replied. "I'm going to pay Panthar a visit before we go."

"Good idea," Tormak said. "Let's go too."

The market stalls of the Scorpion Den were empty, as most of the vendors had joined their cause and were packing their belongings. Occasionally, an animal or two cheered as they passed by, and Eris nodded respectfully at them. This is such a strange feeling, Li'ella thought, waving at a passing spider. The feeling of being wanted. Deep inside, however, a seed of doubt wormed its way into her mind. But they don't really want you, it told her. They're superstitious fools who blindly support your master. Don't forget how they wanted your blood not three days ago. Choosing to ignore the voice, Li'ella followed Eris until they reached Scarrmax' clinic. To her surprise, Braptor was outside, lifting a wooden table outside. "Ah, Your Grace!" he called out, setting down the table and kneeling. "You don't have to do that," Eris insisted, helping him to his feet. "Wow," the burly bat remarked. "Your hands are warm."