Chapter 11: Razcal II

RAZCAL

Razcal was amazed by the structure which was where the old church once stood. After Crokenburg's attack on the Citadel, many buildings had been damaged by bellow plants, including the derelict church where people had once worshipped and prayed to the Gods of Cavora. Since Crooler had not taken the initiative to repair it herself, Razcal assumed that Grizzam had seized his chance to build his own place of worship here. It's amazing how quickly this was built, Razcal mused, genuinely in awe. I mean, it's not finished, but it's damn near completed.

Razcal could just about remember the shoddy building which had already been unused when he first arrived in the Citadel, and he could remember Grizzam's complaints about it then as well. "As the Master of Glass, it is my duty to push for the renovation of the church!" he had said many times, but King Crominus had ignored him, just as he had ignored Wendyll's pleas for help for the Pack, and Razcal's own worries about the unbalanced royal accounts. The old building, isolated on a slightly elevated part of the city below the Citadel, had been made of wood, but it had rotted long ago. It creaked and cracked, and no one had set foot in the all-but-condemned building in ages. Razcal had asked about what had happened to that church, but no one had ever given him an honest answer. However, today, in its place, a much larger and nicer structure stood. Pillars had already been erected, and a dome-shaped roof was currently being built by numerous labourers, most of them rhinoceroses. Several lions, crocodiles and ravens were also working on it, but one animal among them all stood out like a sore thumb: Grizzam, the snow-white gorilla. He was standing near what Razcal assumed was the doorway, a large opening which led to the inside of the church. Its pillars had been painted white, while its dome was constructed mostly of glass, causing the sunlight to reflect off it like a lake. Incredible what faith can do, Razcal mused, looking at the dedicated corps of rhinoceroses lugging stone, wood and glass in wheelbarrows. "Good work!" Grizzam hollered, watching the rhinoceroses put down their materials to begin building. Grizzam himself was helping too; he had some materials around him as well. Upon seeing Razcal, however, the white gorilla narrowed his eyes.

"What do you want?" Grizzam demanded, his voice immediately losing its kind tone. "Why so hostile, Grizzam?" Razcal asked back, a wry smile on his beak. "Can't I just say hello?"

"You're here because the queen sent you, right?" Grizzam asked, his hands on his hips. "Well, I haven't done anything wrong. This new basilica is necessary for the faith of the people of the Citadel." Razcal chuckled and looked around at the workers, who had gathered to look at him. "You truly are dedicated. Here you are, no longer the Master of Glass, but you're still hard at work for your religion. Impressive."

"Our religion," Grizzam corrected immediately. "Cavoranism is the faith of all Chi animals. Or have you forgotten?" Grizzam's words were without irony, so Razcal shrugged. "I haven't forgotten," he began, "I've just never had faith." Grizzam gasped, and the other animals scoffed and returned to work. "I had no idea you lacked belief. I thought you just wanted to pick fights with me back when we were in the King's Council together." Razcal fought the urge to burst into laughter and nodded. "Yes, Grizzam," he decided to say, humouring the devout gorilla. "I'm in need of spiritual guidance. You see, you were right. Queen Crooler indeed sent me to keep an eye on you, but really, I came because I could use your help. In spiritual matters, of course, but in other matters as well," he added. "I see," Grizzam replied. "And what matters would those be?"

"Confidential matters pertaining to my duties in the palace," Razcal answered. "We shouldn't discuss them out here."

"Should you really be talking to me about them, then?" Grizzam inquired. Razcal could see him getting suspicious, but decided to push his luck. "Yes. You're one of the few people who could really make a difference in this matter," he assured him. After deliberating, Grizzam nodded. "Very well. Some of the rooms in the basilica are finished. Let's speak inside."