Chapter 34: Razcal IV

RAZCAL

I can't believe it's happening! Razcal thought elatedly. In an hour, Crooler will return, Grizzam will find her guilty, and everything will go smoothly. Rinona will be forever indebted to me, and I'll be able to use that to eventually secure the throne for myself. Then, the real work can begin. As Rinona escorted Crooler back to the palace so she could change, Razcal decided to excuse himself as well. "I just want to stretch my wings," he told Grizzam as he left the basilica. Once he was outside, Razcal took to the air, for once in his life intending on doing exactly what he said he would. The feeling of flight is really something, he thought, soaring through the Citadel's skies. It's the feeling of freedom. Freedom from Crooler. As he rode the air currents, he went through his mental checklist to ensure everything was accounted for. I've arranged for the letters to be delivered, and my personal letter to Crooler is already in place. Even if I fail, Crooler won't win either. Allowing himself a smile, Razcal circled above the Citadel, watching the city that would be his. The harbour is bustling today, he thought, watching a few ships setting sail for the Outlands and several others docking. Assuming Razar wants to work with me, we could arrange for even more trade with the Outlands to fill our coffers with gold. Closing his eyes, Razcal envisioned his vision of a perfect Chima; a gilded, resplendent kingdom, overflowing with riches. Razcal sat at the centre of it all, atop an onyx and ruby throne, watching and reveling in the glorious prosperity he had brought. It's all for that, he told himself, opening his eyes and seeing the familiar sight of the dirty, impoverished and disappointing city below. It wasn't just Crominus who disappointed me, he thought. All of it did. And that's why I'm going to change it.

After flying for a while longer, Razcal landed and returned to the basilica, pushing through the doors. About half of the animals who had gathered to watch the trial — although calling it a trial cheapened the word — had returned as well, talking amongst themselves in hushed tones. Grizzam was nowhere to be seen, presumably in his office, while Rukus was sitting alone, looking at the lectern with a worried expression. "What's the matter, Rukus?" Razcal asked, sauntering over and seating himself next to the rhinoceros. "Sad that you missed your chance to take the stage?"

"No, Razcal," he replied sullenly. "But you and the others aren't treating the queen with respect. This was hardly a trial." Razcal scoffed and leaned back on the bench, looking up at the basilica's glass ceiling. "What do you mean? As First Advisor, I sanctioned this place as a legitimate courtroom. And with the severity of Crooler's crimes — I mean alleged crimes — we needed to convene at once to address them." Razcal leaned forward, causing the wood underneath him to creak. "Unless... you know something we don't." He moved closer to the rhinoceros, looking him in the eyes. "If you know who's really responsible, or better yet, if you know Crooler's actually responsible, you need to come forward." He looked at the lectern, and was satisfied when he saw that Rukus was looking there again too. "Otherwise, maybe you should stand trial." As he had hoped, Rukus quickly shook his head. "No, I don't know anything," he admitted. "I didn't think you did," Razcal quickly replied, "but I needed to be sure. One can never have too many allies, or too few enemies. Now trust in our justice system. Trust that Cavora will find the truth."

"Of course I trust in Cavora. You know I do." Razcal ended their conversation with a friendly pat before getting up and heading to Grizzam's office. I know you do, fool, Razcal thought. And that's why after this, I'm getting rid of you too.

Razcal knocked on the door to Grizzam's office, and he heard the gorilla's response. "What is it, Razcal?" he asked as the raven stepped inside. "May I sit?" he asked. Grizzam took off his spectacles and looked at Razcal; the white gorilla had been reading one of his books in the dim candlelight. "Of course," he answered, closing up his book. "Have you reached a verdict?" Razcal inquired, taking a seat on the wooden chair. "Crooler will be back soon, and the people will want justice." Grizzam sighed and opened his mouth, so Razcal decided to cut him off. "Let me rephrase my question, then. Are you convinced of Crooler's guilt?" The gorilla paused before answering. "Yes," he said finally. "Yes, I am. The testimony your witnesses provided was damning."