Chapter 30: Eris IV

ERIS

The joy of seeing Rogon again was taken away in an instant when Trakkar drove through Eris' camp and snatched her. She hadn't even been able to scream; the tiger had been so fast and ferocious that by the time Eris had processed that she was a captive, her friends were but dots in the distance. Feeling Trakkar's toned, furry arm around her midriff, Eris flapped her wings and flailed her arms. "Let me go!" she shouted. Not taking his eyes off the road, Trakkar tightened his grip, making it harder for Eris to breathe. "Stop struggling," he warned. "Consider this mercy." He doesn't want to kill me, Eris realized. If he did, he could have done it while everyone was distracted. So what does he want? She turned her thoughts to Fluminox, hoping he could help her. What does he want from me? she asked. There was no answer, so she decided to try her luck at asking her captor himself. "If you're not going to kill me, what do you want?" she asked. "I'm not saying a word until we're in the safety of Spinlyn's manor," he replied curtly. "While I can take on any of your guardians alone, I don't relish the thought of fighting them together. I won't risk any delays." So that didn't work, Eris thought dejectedly. Should I keep struggling? Will that buy Tormak and the others the time they need to catch up? Her thoughts drifted to Rogon, who she had just reunited with, and Cragger, her enemy's brother who was also in the Outlands for some reason. I guess Rogon must have escaped from Spinlyn, which might explain how Trakkar found us, she thought. But how'd he meet Cragger? After weighing her options for a little while longer, Eris decided to let Trakkar keep driving uninhibited. I trust the others to find us, she decided. They already know where Spinlyn is, and if they have Rogon on their side, they should be able to smash through any defenses. So instead of wasting my time and energy fighting Trakkar, I should make the most of my situation. Sensing that Eris had calmed down, Trakkar shuffled her from his arm to his shoulder. I should get more comfortable too, Eris thought. I won't be able to fall asleep or anything, but since he's not talking, I'll turn my attention to someone who will.

Furrowing her brow, Eris called out to Fluminox several times before the phantom phoenix responded. Fluminox! What took you so long? Eris demanded. "My apologies, Eris. I was debating whether I should tell you what they're planning or not." What do you mean? she asked. Why wouldn't you tell me? There was a pause. "As I've said, I worry that too much information can drastically affect the future. It may, paradoxically, prevent the very future your information describes." Eris let out a sigh of frustration, which if Trakkar noticed, he must have attributed to her being captured. We've had this conversation many times, haven't we? she observed. "We have. And it seems our positions never change. I've seen too much, and you've seen too little. I will tell you this, though: the visions you shared with multiple animals; Cragger and Rogon are two of them." Eris' eyes widened in understanding. They were the ones with Spinlyn, Foltrax and Trakkar earlier, she realized. So Cragger was a slave too? How did he get here? Or will you not tell me that, either? Fluminox chuckled. "Cragger has fallen out of favour with his sister. He will tell you why himself." So they come to find me? "You have not seen the last of your friends. That is all I will reveal to you." Eris didn't bother calling out to Fluminox again, as she sensed that he had receded. Helpful as always, she thought dryly. So now it's up to me to think for myself, just like when Li'ella and I deduced that Blista bombed his own church. Why would Foltrax want me alive? Think! A sudden bump in the road gave Eris a jolt of surprise and she yelped, which earned a chuckle from Trakkar. The Web, Eris thought, looking around at its sandstone domes zooming by. He's obviously taking me to Spinlyn's estate. As the domes around her continued to be a blur, Eris came to a conclusion. They must want to use me as leverage against Tormak and the others. Maybe they want my army? Or they want to force Tormak, Lundor and Li'ella into working for them. In any case, I can't let myself be a liability. Setting her jaw, Eris remained still for what seemed like an eternity until Spinlyn's manor gradually came into view.