Chapter 38: Skinnet V

SKINNET

Skinnet nodded at Worriz before heading east, knowing which set of stairs would be the closest to them. "So how many steps are we talking here?" Bulkar asked as they jogged to their destination. "This wall is so damned big, so I imagine we're talking about thousands?"

"I've never counted," Skinnet began, "but I'd say you're not far off. Be thankful we're going down instead of up." As they ran, Skinnet stared wistfully at the lands to the south, almost salivating at the thought of returning home. It's already a lot warmer up here than it was climbing the Barrier, he thought, but it doesn't compare to the south. Once this is done, I'm taking a break. "There's the staircase!" Skinnet said, pointing up ahead. Indeed, the beginning of a rusted guardrail that stretched down the height of the Barrier was visible. "Great Boreal," Bulkar murmured. "That's a long way down."

"Yeah, we haven't really used the stairs in a while," Skinnet said sheepishly. "We have the lifts for a reason, you know. But I can't bring the lift from the bottom alone, so we need to use the stairs." Bulkar chuckled as he slowed his pace, stopping just in front of the staircase. "Then we'd better pace ourselves," he began, "because otherwise we won't have the strength to open the gate for the others."

Looking down, Skinnet gulped. Using a lift to go up and down was one thing; the ride was relatively quick, and he felt safe while inside the steel cage. However, numerous flights of rickety, rusty, and sometimes slippery metal steps were a very different story. I can't even remember the last time the stairs were serviced, Skinnet thought. I don't think I was born yet, or at least it was before I joined the Pack. "We'll need to descend safely but quickly," Skinnet instructed. "These stairs should end not too far east from Wylda's Stronghold, so we should be ready for wolves as soon as we reach the ground." As they began to descend, Skinnet recalled the conversation he had shared with Worriz, Lavertus and Bulkar as they had begun to plan their operation to retake the Barrier earlier that day.

"Bulkar, how did you and the bears get behind Wylda's Stronghold when we fought?" Worriz had asked as they trudged through the snow, heading towards the Barrier from the Ice Tower. "We used the same method we used to climb up the Barrier," the bear had answered, showing his glinting fish hooks. "But it won't work for us. When we rappel down the Barrier, we need a lot more bears to provide weight up top, and then more bears below to provide support. With just the four of us, we can't do that." Worriz had frowned, thinking deeply. "Why don't we use the stairs?" Skinnet had suggested. "Even if Wilhurt is patrolling the summit of the Barrier, the stairs haven't been serviced in forever. We should be able to use those to get back to the base."

"Good thinking, Skinnet," Worriz had replied. "If you can handle walking down so many flights of stairs." Skinnet had nodded, resolute in his determination to return home. "I can," he had assured Worriz. "I know it." Soon enough, the rest of the plan had taken shape; while Worriz and Lavertus would fight Wilhurt at the summit to distract the Pack, Skinnet and Bulkar would open the gates for the bears to come in and surround the wolves, hopefully ending the conflict with minimal bloodshed. Now, as Skinnet made his way down the metal, rusted steps, he smiled at the cruel irony of fate. Not two weeks ago did Worriz and I lay down our lives to defend the Barrier's gate from bears, he mused. Now, I have to open it for them. He thought of Worriz and Lavertus, fending off the Pack on top of the Barrier, and marvelled at their odd pairing. Just where did Lavertus find that Goldfire? he wondered. We're past the point of not trusting him, but for him to have just found such a powerful substance — Skinnet's thoughts were interrupted by the wind picking up, causing the metal to creak horribly. "Hold on!" Skinnet shouted over the gale, gripping the bumpy, rusty rail tightly. The creaks of the staircase were compounded by a rough, scratching sound, as if the stairs were going to be blown clean off. "Are you sure this is safe?" Bulkar yelled from behind and above him. "It should be," Skinnet replied, "but like I said, it hasn't been maintained in years! Besides, we've already started, haven't we? So let's keep going!"