Auditions

"It's finally here," I exclaimed excitedly, bouncing up and down on my feet waiting for the doors to open.

"What's the big deal? Not like your going to audition anyways," my best friend Grant said.

"Oh quit being so unsupportive," I huffed and threw open the double doors.

I always loved the auditorium, being a theater kid and all. The spotlights, the music, the props, and the costumes just makes me feel... free!

"And anyways," I said, turning to face Grant again. "I like to be an extra!"

Grant just rolled his eyes and walked down towards the stage with me. Even though I blew it off, it kind of saddened me knowing my stage fright would always get the better of my talents. Only 4 people had ever heard me sing, two of them it was an accident.

"Wait there's not even anyone here yet!" Grant exclaimed. "You made me come early for... and EMPTY AUDITORIUM!" he exclaimed indignantly.

I chuckled a bit and just led him onto the stage. "You know I like to warm up!" I said, hoisting myself onto the platform, even though there were stairs.

"Yeah but I don't have to be here for that," Grant muttered. "It's bad enough I have to be here while we are ON BREAK!" he said.

"You don't know how to get here anyways," I said rolling my eyes and warming up with some lip trills and scales on the piano.

Grant hated the theater but he always comes to support me... mostly. I actually think its just because he wants to see me embarrass myself and see the other girls who audition. I always finish my warmups with a song from the play I'm auditioning for so I decided, why not "Part of your world."

"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat, wouldn't you think my collections complete, wouldn't you think I'm the girl, the girl who has, everything. Loom at this trove, treasures untold, how many wonders can one cavern hold? Looking around here you'd think, sure, she's got everything. I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty, I've got whoozits and whatsits galore, you want thingymabobs? I've got plenty. But who cares, no big deal, I want More!"

I ended with a high note and heard clapping from the seats. I opened my eyes and saw not only Grant but another man. He had blonde hair and a beard and dull blue eyes, he was wearing a tan suit, he was overall quite handsome. I blushed at the applause and took a little stage bow. "Umm, sorry for asking sir but who are you?" I asked, hopefully not being rude.

To the contrary the man laughed and got up on stage with me. "I'm the new director of drama for North High," he told me and I thought I might pass out.'

"The director of this years production just heard me sing?" I asked nervously.

"Quite right you are," he said pleasantly. "I'm Mr. Roy but you may call me Zack, your voice was quite wonderful," he told me while inspecting the piano.

I blushed even more at the praise and stuttered out a little thank you.

"You are auditioning right?" he asked, still facing the piano.

"Umm well, I usually just go for the extras, I have stage fright and... " I started but he cut me off.

"Ahh yes, I figured that was the case, practicing here with only your closest friend," he told me. "I completely understand, you can always be a singing, dancing fish if your not up to the challenge."

That was where it got me, the challenge. I was one of the most competitive people in this school and when it came to a challenge, I NEVER back down.

"Umm who knows," I said vaguely. "I may concur my stage fright this year."