NYC Pt.2

Recap:

We all exited the hotel to take a walk around, looking for a nice place to eat lunch. We took the subway to Central Park and found a food cart there. We all ordered hot dogs and smoothies for lunch. We enjoyed the sights and sounds, we even saw a pigeon poop on a tourist. Overall it was a great start to our trip... until we got back on the subway.

Day 3 continued:

Everyone filed through the subway doors and got places. I was one of the people who got to sit, but when a lady with a crying baby came on, I offered her my seat. She needed it more than I did. I got up and stood next to Lily and Grant, who were holding onto those things hanging from the ceiling. I tried not to think about how gross and germy it is and I grabbed on a split second before the subway started moving.

It jerked and rattled around while it was moving, jolting all of us around like popcorn. I would have fallen over a coupe times if it weren't for Grant and Lily grabbing me when my hand slipped, because I was too short to reach so I had to stand on the tips of my toes. I had been sitting on our previous ride so I was unfamiliar on how to balance.

"Hey, little tip, try leaning on the pole a little bit, it will put less pressure on your feet," I heard someone tell me.

I turned around and there was the lady whom I had offered my seat. I thanked her and tried it, it worked! I could balance a lot better.

I turned around to express my gratitude when all of a sudden the subway jerked to a complete stop in 2 seconds. Of course I would have stayed standing had I not been me, the clumsiest person alive probably. My hand slipped once again (for good reason this time) and I fell, hitting my head on the metal pole. "Kat!" I heard voices exclaim. I had hit my head plenty of times before, on many different things, but never on a METAL POLE! Especially with all the force of the train jolting me into it. I felt my world fade to black and for the first time ever, I passed out.

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"Don't worry, she just has a concussion, she should be awake in a few moments."

"Thank you, I cant believe there was a doctor on the subway!"

I heard the jumbled of voices and winced, my head was pounding and I felt dizzy. I opened my eyes slowly and saw that I was laying on the subway seat, head propped up on a backpack, with ice on the bench next to me. The subway still wasn't moving I noticed, and everyone was still on. My guess was that the subway broke down or there was something happening on the tracks.

The first person to notice my eyes were open was Grant, Lily soon after.

"Kat! Your okay!" Lily exclaimed.

I smiled halfheartedly at her.

"Sure, if you count a pounding head and dizzying spell okay."

She frowned and I gave her a real smile to show that I would be alright. She smiled back and a guy in a brown leather jacket started talking to me.

"That perfectly normal miss, just press the ice to the back of your head and you'll be fine. I nodded, felling pain whizz up my skull. I winced and Grant handed me the ice. I smiled gratefully at him and pressed the ice to the back of my head like the man told me. I felt the pain ease tremendously, just like it had at rehearsals that one day.

"So what happened?" I asked.

"Well the subway controls kinda went haywire and made it jerk to a stop, that's when you hit your head," Grant explained.

"We saw you pass out and herded some people off the chair, propped you up on my backpack, and gave you some ice," Lily continued.

"Then we found the doctor who checked you out to make sure you had no permanent damage, which thankfully you didn't, he said you have a minor concussion," Grant finished.