Co-Director Sunshine

Katrina P.O.V

"What?! Your own sister did that to you?" Zoey asked, pillow held to her chest with anticipation. 

It was 6:30 in the morning, and all of us in the Hollow, (our yurt name), were already dressed even though wakeup wasn't until 8:30. We're all very early risers it seems. 

"Believe it. She used to be kind of a bad person, but then she met my best friend, and she changed a lot," I smiled. 

"You're a really good person Katrina. I would never have forgiven someone that easily, especially after she turned all my friends against me," Jess frowned. 

"It was easier when I realized she acted this way because of her "mom". Plus, she was family, and she was dating my best friend, so I couldn't very well just ignore her," I defended. 

"Let's talk more about this Ricky guy though. He sounds..." Jess turned to the other girls for support. 

"Toxic," Zoey, Jess, Linda, and Evie said at once. 

My mouth dropped open. I wasn't expecting that. 

"How on earth do you figure that?" I questioned, appalled. 

"Look, he liked you when he had a girlfriend, but then when he broke up with his girlfriend, he was an absolute jerk to everyone around him. Then, when you two finally get together, he goes off with your sister to go jet-skiing while she ALSO has a boyfriend. Call me crazy but that sounds like a huge red flag," Evie explained. 

I stopped for a moment. I hadn't exactly thought about it. 

"We're not trying to dissuade you from being with him-" Zoey started. 

"No, we definitely are," Linda interrupted. 

Zoey glared at Linda, who shrugged. 

"We're just saying to be careful," Jess said placatingly. 

"Thanks guys, it means a lot that you all care about me like that after just meeting me," I smiled, even though my brain was a confused mess. 

"Of course! When you're with us, and you accept us, you're automatically our friend," Jess smiled. 

"Besides, we've had so many attempts to put another girl in our cabin, but they all just ask Maddox for a change in bunks," Evie said sadly. 

I felt a pool of guilt in my stomach. That was exactly what I had been planning to do. Not anymore though. These were some of the nicest girls I had ever met. I wasn't going to make them hate me. 

"Can you all promise me one thing though?" I asked. 

They all nodded, looking at me. 

"Can we keep the pranks to a minimum?" I asked, shying away from all of their stares. 

"Don't worry, we were already going to do that," Linda shrugged. 

"Unless someone bothers any of us," Zoey put in. 

I laughed and we all went back to talking. About a half hour later, I wanted to go walking around for some fresh air. Maybe practice a bit of gymnastics if I could find a good spot. I had definitely been lying about being stressed this summer. With every intention of exercising, I ran towards the Barn, only to find someone already there. 

"EJ?" I asked, running up the stairs to where he was sitting on the bench by the doors. 

"Morning Kat," EJ smiled, but it looked forced. 

"Okay, what's wrong?" I asked, sitting down on the railing next to him, giving him space on the bench. 

EJ sighed. "Promise not to tell anyone?"