⁽⁰⁴⁾ DAZAI IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO SOCIETY

so

so.

they were at the train station.

much to atsushi's surprise, ranpo truly possessed no knowledge regarding the process of how to board a train. thankfully, this did not apply to [name], and she managed to aid ranpo in his struggles. with her own money (scratch that. it was probably taken from kunikida's wallet prior to their flee from the office.), she paid for the three needed tickets, directed him through the turnstile, and found the correct platform.

soon enough, the train stopped at their destination. they walked for a few blocks, heading in the general direction of the crime scene. they were able to pinpoint the exact location with ease, considering how multiple police cars were lined up along the street.

"you're late, agents," an officer gruffly voiced out with disdain.

ranpo turned his attention to him, "oh, who are you? where is yasui?"

atsushi was shaking behind ranpo and [name]'s backs, beads of sweat rolling down his face. he was nervous.

"i'm minoura," the man introduced himself, "i took over for yasui. this case has been reassigned to our division, so we no longer need you or your agency."

[name] yawned in boredom as ranpo loudly stated, "how foolish! all difficult cases should obviously be overseen by a great detective."

"we won't need a detective today...because the victim is my subordinate."

the other men held onto the ends of the cover, pulling it back to reveal the victim's body. she was a young lady. her hair hid the upper half of her face, her skin was pale, and three bullet holes were spread across her chest. the blood from the wounds seeped into the layers of her clothes. the woman's wrist was adorned with a silver watch.

at the sight of the corpse, ranpo respectfully took his hat in his hands, silently offering his condolences.

"she was discovered floating in the river this morning," a subordinate spoke. [name] eyed the young officer, immediately taking note of his wrist. more specifically, the silver watch that adorned it.

minoura added on, "she was shot three times in the chest. we don't know where or when she was killed. we haven't even found the bullets."

"any suspects?"

"no. as far as anyone at the office knew, she wasn't in a relationship, either."

[name] raised an eyebrow at the assumption, analyzing the suspiciously similar pieces of jewelry. she then singled out an individual from the crowd, "you. what do you have to say about that?"

the question was directed at the subordinate who had spoken up only a few minutes earlier.

"i- what? me? what do i have to do with this?"