⁽⁰⁵⁾ ALL'S WELL THAT'S WELL FOR ME!

with the help of his so-called ability, ranpo exposed the murderer as though it were the answer to an elementary school math problem

"the killer," he started, slowly raising a finger to point at his target, "is you. that's right. the killer is you, sergeant sugimoto."

sugimoto, ranpo's target, sputtered in shock. "what?"

ranpo held full faith in his conclusion, not once backing down from the doubtful stares of his spectators. he didn't falter, even when minoura mocked him with a loud laugh.

"sergeant sugimoto is my subordinate," the officer countered.

[name] quietly scoffed at his ignorance. that's the point of a betrayal, idiot.

ranpo insisted, "sergeant sugimoto is the one who killed her."

"don't be stupid! it's impossible that the killer would appear nearby in the first place!"

"it's because he's the killer that he wants to stay close to the case. besides, didn't i mention this? i also know where the evidence lies. lend me your gun, will you?"

as the detective turned to face sugimoto, the young man objected, sweat rolling down the sides of his face.

"y-you've got to be kidding. the punishment for handing a government-issued firearm to a civilian is far worse than a pay cut."

"and your point is?" [name] interjected, "you should know the law. a murder charge is worse than those two combined. give up the gun, kid."

her intimidating demeanor scared him shitless, to the point where his hand began to steadily approach the holster of his gun.

much to sugimoto's relief, he was, once again, stopped by the intervention of minoura. "and here i was hoping you'd have a point. are you detectives just talk?"

"if we examine that gun and come up empty, then sure, i'm just a dumbass running my mouth," ranpo answered confidently.

"i've had enough of listening to you!"

equally as confident, minoura called upon his subordinate. "show him, sugimoto!"

"but..." he stammered, hesitance evident in his stiff behavior. ranpo stayed quiet, wearing a cocky smirk.

"he's dug himself a deep hole," minoura pressed further, "if we can disprove him, he'll shut up and go home. we can't waste any more time. show him your gun!"

sugimoto was silent. he looked down to his shoes, and his face was overcasted by the shadow of his hat, preventing people from seeing his terrified expression.

"hey, what's the matter, sugimoto?"

"even in this city, it's not easy for an amateur to get spare ammo, even harder if the firearm was government-issued."