⁽¹⁸⁾ A GAME

spoiler warning : this chapter contains scenes from episode 101 (s5 ep26 on netflix) of hunterxhunter. i've left a vague summary at the end, just in case you would like to know what happens while being cautious and avoiding potential spoilers. you can still read the first part of the chapter! just stop when you see "hxh spoilers ahead" and skip to the summary.

i know i said that you didn't have to watch hxh to read this story, but i needed [name] to do something for the guild arc and it seemed like a good opportunity to use one of killua's canon scenes :( my apologies

ranpo was overjoyed when [name] arrived in their makeshift office. of course, he already knew that she would bring more snacks, but it was such a wonderful feeling to actually have them in his hands. he hugged them to his chest, giving a thumbs-up of approval and gratitude to his saving grace.

the group that was present in the room had been informed of the note from the mysterious being, and they were curious, yet wary all the same.

ever the caring father figure, fukuzawa inquired, "have you read it yet, [name]?"

"nope. didn't want to read it until i got here."

"alright, will you read it for us, then?"

[name] nodded, and pulled the folded note out of her pocket.

"precisely eight days from now. 18:00. warehouse street, district fifteen. come alone. god knows what happens to your detectives if you do otherwise."

yosano slowly blinked. "that's ... it? i was expecting more."

"no kidding," [name] agreed, "all that effort to ask me out on a date? listen, i'm flattered, but—"

"no."

"sorry, mister president..."

eight days later, just as the note had stated, [name] found herself walking along the dimly lit street.

what could go wrong, right?

without a proper plan in mind, unmindful of the definite dangers that awaited her arrival, and all alone with no backup, [l.name] [name] would certainly be okay!

unscathed, safe and sound, alive and well — whatever you would like to describe it as.

"hey, sorry if i'm a bit late!" she hollered, hearing the echoes of her voice as they rang about the vicinity. her posture remained at ease, outwardly displaying no signs of worry. she would casually glance from side to side, peering into the alleyways between each warehouse. "just got caught up with some things, is all. i hope i'm not underdressed."

her silent footsteps came to a stop. without turning around, she spoke up once more, "i don't think you're my date."

"aw, come on! scream a little," the person behind her complained. their grip on their knife had not faltered. instead, it began to press into the side of her neck. nothing more than a slight prick. "otherwise, it's no fun, huh?"