Part Four: Breaking The Ice//The Bonfire

You walked slowly behind Newt, still not knowing whether you could trust him, Minho, Chuck, or Gally. The small boy, Chuck, stayed by your side with a huge smile across his chubby face. It made you want to smile, as if it were contagious. Newt looked back to you as you were looking at Chuck and you saw him smile. You looked over to him but he immediately looked forward again.
"I'm Chuck!" The kid spoke and you tilted your head a little, not saying anything back. "Oh, so you aren't a talker then. Well, that's fine. I was the last Greenie before you. I know it's seems really bad with, you know, being trapped in a Ma—"
"Chuck! Not now." Gally said and Chuck shut his mouth. It was as if the boy had said something he wasn't supposed to say. He was going to say Maze.
Why do people keep talking about a maze?
"Sorry about him, he doesn't know how to shut his shuck mouth." Gally said and Chuck smiled awkwardly, blushing a light pink in embarrassment.
There was something about Gally that you couldn't figure out. It was there, this feeling of familiarity, that couldn't figure out.
And Newt, there was something about the boy that made you feel comfortable. Just looking in his eyes made you feel at peace. You didn't get that feeling with anyone else. What made this boy so special?
Newt and Chuck helped you set up your hammock. No one slept in the buildings, they seemed to not have the room to fit everyone. And there were a lot more boys than you had originally thought.
As Chuck helped you tighten the knot of the rope for your hammock, Minho walked up and gave you a box that said your name on it.
It was a small dark wooden chest with a silver border. There was a silver latch that had a lock and key attached to it. The name (Y/n) was literally engraved into the wood. None of the boys seemed to notice the name, they just assumed it was yours. You sighed with relief knowing that they still don't know your name. You don't know why though, it was just the only thing that you could really call yours.
"What's this?" You asked skittishly and Minho looked up as this was the first time he had heard your voice, same with Chuck. He smiled lightly and let out a sigh.
"Donno, clothes maybe?" Minho responded and you nodded. It made sense, you were the only girl so they had to send some clothes that would fit you.
"You should put some on, that buggin shirt is stained with blood." Newt said and you looked down and saw the splotches and lines of blood on the right side of your shirt.
You opened the box and found a simple white tight tank top that would do just fine. You looked at the boys and they looked at you.
"We'll don't just stare, turn around shanks!" Minho spoke out and Newt shook from his daze and you could have sworn you saw the blondie blush.
"Of course, sorry." Newt said, turning around so that his back was facing you. Chuck was already turned around and Minho pulled both the boys closer so that they made a wall, blocking you off from anyone's view.
You quickly ripped off your baggy blood stained blue shirt. You quickly slipped on the white tank top and it felt it tight around your torso. You looked down to the bandages on your arm and saw little bits of blood seep through but at least it didn't hurt as much as before.
You walked up to Newt and tapped him on the shoulder, making him and the others turn to look at you. They all smiled.
"Well look at you! Now you don't look like you were mauled by a Greiver!" Minho said but Newt nudged him hard in the ribs making the boy yelp in pain. "Ow! The shuck man!"
What is a Greiver?
"You look much better Greenie. Now, I'm sorry to have to do this but I have some things to take care of and Chucky here has some work to finish. Don't worry though cause my mate Minho will take care of you till the Bonfire." Newt announced and Minho furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.
"Woah woah woah, wait, when was this decided?"
"We told you earlier, remember?" Newt said, looking at Minho with a serious expression.
"No you di—. Wait, uh, aw shuck! Cmon Newt, you know I don't listen to you when you talk sometimes!" Minho argued but that seemed to make Newt's flat expression go flatter.
"Just bloody watch her!" Newt said as he walked away before the boy could contend.
"I'm not a babysitter!" Minho yelled after Newt.
"You are now!" Newt yelled back and you silently laughed as you watched Minho glare at the British boy as he walked away.
You didn't want Newt to leave, you liked having him around, but he was gone before you could protest.

Minho had shown you around the place that he called the Glade. He showed you some of the buildings like the homestead and the Map Room. You weren't allowed in the Map Room however, because you weren't a Runner, whatever that meant.
You liked Minho, he was funny and sarcastic and maybe a little too invested in his hair. He talked about it a lot, but you didn't mind. Just like Newt, Minho made you feel more comfortable in this new place. You trusted him enough to speak freely.
Minho answered some of your questions like, were they sent up like you? Turns out that every boy up here went through the same thing you did.
You and Minho sat together and ate dinner that someone named Frypan made.
Frypan was nice, he had a kind heart and a welcoming smile. He had a nice attitude towards you and he made you feel welcome.
As you ate your food you saw that Newt was having a deep conversation with Alby. You didn't even know you were staring till Minho began flicking water in your face.
"Hey, shuck face, got a little drool there." Minho said and you blushed, flicking water back at him. You tried not to smile or laugh but Minho had that annoying effect on people.
"I barely know him!" You responded flatly, trying to keep up your tough girl image. It wasn't hard cause you were tough, but you so badly wanted to put it to rest. You had to be just as sarcastic to Minho as he was to you however, because if you let him think he was better than you then he wouldn't let you live it down. You learned that without even knowing him for very long.
"He doesn't even know your name." Minho then said but you looked at him with a confused look.
"Yeah but neither do you, you just keep calling me shuck face" Minho laughed at your comment.
"Well, do you ever plan on sharing your name? Or do I have to continue calling you shuck face till you tell me?" He asked and you just smirked at him.
"You can be patient." Was all you said.
"Maybe you'll break the ice at the bonfire."

Night had come and the fire roared to life as all the boys were taking, drinking, and fighting. Minho was with the other Runners you presumed, drinking whatever concoction was in their jars. Chuck was observing the little fight circle the boys had started, with Gally in the middle as the undefeated champion. You didn't know where Alby had gone.
You were sitting on your own, looking at the fire, thinking. The stars glistened above you and the moonlight beamed down. You listened to the noises that were coming from behind the closed off walls. It was a loud clanking sound and sometimes a horrid whirring sound that you didn't understand.
So many things were going through your head. You shook from your daze and realised that you had been staring at Newt. His deep doe eyes interlocked with yours so you quickly looked away, but it was too late, he saw you staring.
Next thing you know he is sitting next to you. He offers you a drink but you pass.
"There are probably about a hundred questions you have right now."
"Yeah." Was all you could say and you just wanted to bash your head against the log.
"I get that, truly, I do. Rest assured, any questions you have, I will answer." Newt said and you smiled at him softly. You were silent for a while and Newt laughed lightly. You glanced over to him with a questioning look.
"You don't talk much, do you?" He asked and you found yourself staring again. "If you don't have questions that's fine too—"
"The Maze, what is it?" You blurted out and that seem to shut the boy up. That question had been eating away at you since the moment you heard about it. What was the Maze? Was it dangerous? Newt's expression darkened so that meant something.
"It's what's outside those walls. We're smack dab in the middle of a bloody maze. Cant find an exit. Been stuck here for 3 years and nothing. Can you hear that?" He asked, pointing to the air and then you heard it again, the clanking and shifting of concrete. "It's the walls, changing." He told you and you looked back to the peaceful closed walls.
"I don't understand." You said and he shifted his position against the log to face you, leaning against it.
"They close every night and open every morning. Same time everyday. During the night they change, opening up new passageways like a pattern." Newt explained.
"I'm sorry." You said, and again you wanted to bash your head against the log. Your responses were awful. Newt laughed.
"Nothin to be sorry about. Now your stuck with me Greenie."
"(Y/n)"
"What?"
"Y/n, it's my name." You said and he smiled.
He was the first person to know your name and he knew that. You could see his face light up as he found that you were beginning to open up. To your surprise, you felt relief from someone finally knowing your name. You trusted the people here, you felt like you weren't alone. All these boys have felt the same fear you felt. The one thing they could have done better was knowing how to handle seeing a girl. Then again, you were the first.
"(Y/n), I like it, suits you." He said and you could feel the red flush through your cheeks. You could feel Minho's gaze, you knew he was gonna make fun of you later for this.
All of a sudden, you heard Gally call for you. Well, he didn't call you by your name because only Newt knew it now.
"Hey, shank, wanna give the fight circle a try?"