Part Twenty-Seven: The Battle Between Man And Beast

You and Minho lead the group through the Maze, taking different turns as you continued down the long corridors. There was tension in the group, people were scared and there was nothing you could do to make them feel better. You were scared too.
"You think there's trouble waiting for us?" You asked Minho, who was running by your side.
"Honestly shuck face, I don't know." He told you honestly.
"I wouldn't be too surprised." Newt popped in as he hobbled faster. "And if there is..."
"We fight till the end." You finished for the boy and you could feel yourself pick up more speed.
You had, at this point, passed Section Six and were nearing Seven. You were nervous, considering the fact that you could very much be leading all these people into danger. But they knew the risks, they knew and that made you feel a bit better.
"C'mon guys, we're almost there, just keep it up." You said as you ran through the giant corridor marked with a giant red seven. It looked like it had never changed. You ran further down to where the Blades were. You and Minho exchanged glances.
"Told ya." Was all the boy said as the two of you lead the group to the Greiver Hole. You and the others propped yourselves against the wall right next to the opening. You peeked your head over the corner and saw, not too surprisingly, a Griever.
Of course this wasn't going to be easy, why would it?
"Is there a Greiver?" You heard Chuck's young voice ask and you looked at all of them.
"Of course there is." You said and Chuck swore under his breath.
"You take this Chuck, you stay behind us." Minho said, handing the boy the key. He looked terrified.
"Don't worry, I'll stay with him." Teresa said, tying her hair up terribly. What was the point of tying your hair up of it was just going to fall in your face anyway.
"Alright, we all want to stick together when those doors open. We are all getting out of here. One way or another, we are going to escape. Whether we die here or not." You said and the boys shook off their nerves. They looked as ready as running into death itself could be.
"We're with you (y/n)." Thomas said.
"We all are." Newt said and all the other boys mummered in agreement.
"Alright then." You said, pulling your blade from its slot. "LETS GO!" You shouted and all the boys shouted with you.
You turned the corner and bolted towards the Greiver. It screeched and smashed its scorpion inspired tail against the ground. The beast smashed through the group, splitting you all up. You and Thomas were together while all the other Gladers surrounded it.
   The thing squealed and lifted it's tail up in the air and opened its claws.
   "Watch the tail!" You screamed over the chaos. The beast, as predicted, began swinging its tail at everyone's heads. The boys jabbed their wooden spears at the Greiver and the thing backed up slightly. You ran up and slashed the creature across the face.
   The thing backed up and swung its tail aimlessly, but this time, it caught an unsuspecting Glader. The boy didn't have time to react before he was thrown off the edge. All you could hear were his screams as he fell. They stopped with a thud.
   The Greiver smashed its leg into the concrete, and Teresa saw an opportunity. She took her big knife and cut through the Greiver's leg, but also knocking the key right out of the Chuck's hand.
   "The key!" The boy yelled and ran after it without thinking.
    "Chuck!" You said, chasing after the boy. Chuck had gotten down on his stomach and was hanging off the edge of the bridge with the key gripped tightly in his sweaty hands.
   "Oh no." The boy said.
   "I got to Chuck!" You told him.
   "Pull me up! Pull me up!" The boy yelled as  you snatched him before he fell,
only to see more Greivers climbing up from the dark abyss below. They screeched and began ascending faster.
   "Aw shuck!" You said under your breath as you dragged Chuck back to the group.
   "(Y/N)!?" Newt screamed after they had pushed the Greiver they were currently fighting off the bridge, but he was relieved when he saw you run up with Chuck. Less relieved when he saw the Greivers climbing up the bridge behind you.
   You and Chuck ran through the group, the key making a high pitch squeal and right after that the three doors opened, leading to the hole.
   "Teresa! Go with him!" You shouted and the girl turned and did as you told. You took her place in the battle right next to Ron.
   You jabbed the Greiver as it clawed and snapped. You turned your head to look at Teresa and Chuck.
   "How's it going over there?" You called out to them.
   "Somewhere! Just give us a second!" Chuck called. You suddenly felt arms wrap around your waist and pull you away from an incoming claw. 
   "Thanks Ron." The boy nodded in return and began fighting again. There were two Greivers now and half the Gladers were holding one off while the other half held off the other.
   There were yells and shouts from everyone around you. The Greivers were so loud that you couldn't even hear your own thoughts. A Glader came in with a spear, but the Greiver caught it and threw the boy over its shoulder like he was nothing.
   "(Y/N)!" You heard Teresa call so you turned to her. "THERES A CODE! EIGHT NUMBERS!" She shouted and you let it process though your head.
Eight numbers
   "C'mon! Hold em off!"
Eight numbers
   "Stick together."
Eight numbers
"Just a little longer!"
Eight numbers...
Then it hit you.
   "Eight numbers, eight sections!" You said aloud.
   "What?" Ron asked confused.
   "MINHO! THE SEQUENCE OF THE MAZE!"
   "What?"
   "THE SEQUENCE! WHATS THE SEQUENCE?!"
   "7-1-5-2-6-4—"
   "LOOK OUT!" Newt called out and you heard the sound of metal sliding against concrete. You looked up and watched as the Greiver slid down from the roof.  Newt grabbed you and pulled you out of the way as the Greiver landed right on top of Minho.
   "MINHO!" You shouted as the boy fought against the Greiver. The thing would have killed him if he hadn't used his machete to hold it off.
   "Get off of me!" Minho yelled as if the Greiver would listen.
   "Thank you." You heard Ron whisper in your ear.
   "What? RON!" You screamed but the boy leapt at the Greiver, driving his spear right through it. The ugly beast released Minho and now focused on its new prey. You watched wide-eyed in horror as Ron was dragged away.
   You may not have gotten along with him, but he proved that he could redeem himself. And he did.
   "RON NO!" You screamed as Newt pulled you away as the Greivers began closing in on the group.
   "Minho!" Chuck screamed.
   "Uh— 6-4-8-3!"
   "Got it!" Teresa shouted back.
   "Come on! Hold em back a little longer!" Thomas encouraged but you watched as Newt's spear broke in the jaws of the Greiver.
   A green light flicked from behind you and suddenly, the three doors began shutting, closing on the Greivers.
   The last one got what was happening and began galloping towards your group, but you took someone's spear and shot it right in the Greivers head, pushing it back and watching the wall crush it, sending slime and guts through with it.

Then, the hole closed and darkness took over.

With a swooshing sound, a door slid open, sending light into the dark room. The group stared at it hesitatingly, not knowing if it were a good idea to go in or not. Everyone looked at you.
You were shook, confused, everything had happened so fast that registering it wasn't even an option. You felt a soft hand slip into yours and you saw Newt. He nodded.
You walked forward, hand still gripping Newt's as you pushed open the door. You walked through only to find yourself in a long corridor. The lights flickered on one by one down each side of the hall. You looked to your left and right but they seemed basically the same. That was, until a green light caught your eye on the right.
"C'mon." You said, tightly holding Newt's hand as you lead the group down the dank hallway, footsteps echoing loudly.
Once you had made it to the green light, you found that it wasn't a light, it was a sign.
Exit
You scoffed.
"Seriously?" Frypan commented and you looked back at all of them simultaneously.
"Are you all ready?"
"We're right behind you." Newt said, this time squeezing your hand reassuringly.
You turned to the door and opened it wide, only to find a mess. Blood, bodies, and smashed equipment scattered the room. There was broken glass that showed off a room with bodies laying on two gurneys covered in a white cloth. You stepped over a body that bled out on the floor. You began shaking.
"I'm right here love." Newt assured you.
"Don't let go." You said, leading him through a broken glass door. You turned to check on Chuck but he was with Thomas. Good.
Once you entered the bigger room, you found that it wasn't much better. More bodies, all in white suits, laid motionless. There was a muffled whooping sound and a small flashing light. Smoke rose to the ceiling from some of the machines that seemed to have been shot at. Chairs scattered the floors and more broken glass was everywhere.
   You let Newt drag you around as he observed some of the screens. You looked at the one he was currently looking at and saw live footage of the Glade.
   "So they were watching us." Newt said looking to you. You saw something on a screen in the corner of your eye. You turned your head to get a better view of it. It was a picture of you with a straight jacket on and screaming. Your heart began racing and your breath hitched in your throat. 
   "C'mon love, let's go." Newt said, pulling you away from the screen. You looked over to Thomas, who hesitantly watched a blinking circle on the screen. Eventually, Thomas built up the guts to press it. A recording suddenly poped up of what could have been this room only minutes prior. There was a women on screen, she seemed familiar.

'Hello, my name is Doctor Ava Paige at the World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department.'