Part Twenty-Two: Section Seven

You were awoken by Minho, his smirk making you smile. You tried getting sleep, and you got a couple hours worth, but not as much as you would have wanted.
   "You sure you want to do this?" Minho asked sarcastically, still smiling, and you scoffed in return.
   "Get me the shuck out of here!" You said and he laughed as he unlocked the slammer door and helped you out. The moment you touched the grass you stretched and yawned. You were glad to be out of that dank little cell.
Minho handed you a vest. It was leather and had different straps and buckles for adjustments. There was a small pack clipped to the back where you probably kept things like mapping paper and food. You put it on and it fit loosely, but a few strap adjustments here and there, it fit you perfectly.
   "When do we start?" You asked, excited and ready to go.
   "Relax shank, we still have twenty minutes before those doors open. Let me get the supplies. You go meet Newt over there" Minho said, pointing to a section on the wall. "He wanted to see you before you go back in the Maze." Minho said and you nodded in return.
Twenty minutes seemed to be a long time to wait, but that might just be the impatience inside of you building. You jogged your way over to where you were meant to meet Newt and you spotted him there with a knife in his hand.
   "I hope your not lookin for revenge with that." You joked and Newt laughed softly.
   "Not exactly love. You see, we never had the time to do this but this wall right here, every glader has carved their name into it." He said and you looked at him confused. "Normally, you'd do this with Alby, but he thought it'd be best if I did it with you instead." You nodded and ran your fingers over some of the names until you got to a familiar one, your fingers brushing against the indents.
   "George..." you whispered to yourself, not meaning for Newt to hear. The name was crossed out, and though he never told you what it meant, you got the idea.
   "He was a good person. He got stung though. He was the first to ever be stung. Alby had to... it was a tough call but those need to be made sometimes. Anyway, before you went in to the bloody death trap, I thought that if you put your name on this wall you would finally feel like you belong here." Newt smiled and handed you the knife. You took it and gripped it tight as you turned to the graffitied wall. There were so many names.
You turned to all the names and began carving your name next to Thomas's name and below Newt's. It took you a while so you were happy that you had twenty minutes. You tried carving as neat as you could but it was difficult as you were shaking from excitement and fear. Newt saw this. He was hesitant at first, but he sucked it up and came up behind you. You could feel his body brush against your back as he reached for your hands to steady them. Together in sync, you and Newt both carved your name into that wall. You blushed hard as both of Newt's hands were on yours.
Once you finished, Newt released you and you turned to him. He had his hand behind his head as he smiled awkwardly.
"Thank you." You said and he relaxed.
"Of course."
You backed up from the wall and admired your work, then Newt slung his arm over your shoulder.
   "Maybe I do belong here." You said.
   "That's what I've been trying to tell you love!" He laughed and then he turned more serious, turning you to face him with his hands still on your shoulders. "Be careful out there. I don't ever want to feel the pain of losing you again." You were touched and you saw Newt flush a soft pink as he realised what he just said.
   "You have my word."

The Doors were opening, the gears clanking and screeching as they opened. You were ready, you had done your stretches and everything. The adrenaline was pulsing through your veins and your heart was beating unnaturally fast. You and Minho were about to go when Gally pulled you towards him.
"Hey Gal, look dude, I gotta go." You said, pointing to the almost opened Doors. Minho was already running through.
"I know, I just... be careful." He said and you smirked.
"When have I not been careful?" You asked and he looked at you seriously. "I'll be fine!" You reassured as you began going into the Maze. You were almost there when you saw Thomas standing there watching you. You saluted him and he waved, you could have sworn you saw a smile on the boys face.
Then you were in. It only took you thirty seconds to catch up to the Runner but he didn't seemed fazed when you suddenly appeared next to him. He looked at you and you looked at him.
"Like I said yesterday," he said, panting as he ran, "we're going to Section Seven so just follow me." Minho said, speeding up as he ran to take the lead. You followed closely behind.