Part Eighteen: I Know You

You ran to the med hut, heart pounding and sweat dripping down your forehead. Anxiety built up in your stomach as you got closer to the hut. What was wrong with Gally? You tried so hard to keep him alive. You hoped that it wasn't something too severe.
   As you approached the medhut, you could see  Newt limping beside you, Alby shortly behind. If you got in trouble for leaving the Gathering, you honestly couldn't care less, all your thoughts were on Gally. They could yell at you later.
   You ran inside, not slowing down your speed and slamming the door open. Clint jumped up when you barged in.
   "God!" He sighed but you didn't focus on that. Newt and Alby had now entered that med hut as well. They were panting as were you, though, after the night before, you found that running was something that you have basically mastered.
   "Where is he?" You asked frantically.
   "That was a bit dramatic, don't you think shank?" That voice, that familiar deep voice, sent a wave of relief and fear through your body. You looked behind Clint and saw Gally standing there. He was standing. But when you got stung, you were out for three days. That didn't matter to you however, you were more confused on the fact that the boy in front of you didn't even seem hurt at all, except for the gash on his forehead that was wrapped up. You turned to Jeff.
   "What's the deal shuck face? You said something was wrong!" You yelled in his face and the boy looked at you seriously.
    "And I wasn't lying! Gally got stung and yet here he is, perfectly fine!" He responded and you felt bad for yelling at him.
   "Sorry." You said but the boy nodded in forgiveness.
   Gally wasn't pale, he had no dark veins and no angry demeanour. You remember the darkness, the loneliness, the memories, and the pain. The immense pain that would shoot through your body. The pain that made you feel out of control of your own body, making you twitch and seize. But here he was, almost looking unfazed.
   "(Y/n)?" Gally said and you froze in spot, looking at him. This is the man that was so mad at you that he risked dying to get away from you. You stared into his deep eyes as they stared back into yours. You twiddled your thumbs and looked down to the ground awkwardly. This was not going well.
   What would he say? Was he still mad at you? Does he have a reason to be mad at you? Did he think you were lying? Did he get his memories back?
Again, your unanswered questions annoyed you.
  You were broken from your thoughts when you looked up to see Gally coming closer. You didn't move and Newt took a small step closer in case something happened. Instead though, the big muscular boy with crazy eyebrows dove for you and embraced you in a huge hug. At first you were hesitant, not knowing what to do, so you glanced back to Newt for reassurance. The boy smiled wildly and nodded, so you hugged Gally back. You gripped him tightly and you didn't want to let go.

You didn't know it but, you had been waiting for this moment.

    "Let's give em their space." Newt said smiling, turning to look at the leader. Alby stared back at Newt.
   "Hold on..."Alby tried but Newt cut him off.
    "Give them space. If that were your brother, wouldn't you want a moment alone?" With that, the two boys left you and Gally together. You felt safe in his warm arms. He was bigger and towered over you but you found his soft side. Maybe you were the only one that knew it existed. You saw Gally. The Gally who was your brother. You refused to let that Gally go again.
   "I'm so sorry (y/n)." He finally said, "I never should have run into that shucking Maze."
   "Then why did you?" This was a burning question you had that you needed an answer for. All the others ones didn't matter.
   "I don't know, it's like I didn't have control over myself. But trust me when I say, I never wanted to go in that Maze."
   "I never should have kept that from you, I should have told you the moment I woke up and you were there and—"
   "That doesn't matter. You had just gone through the Changing, you didn't know what to believe." Gally assured you and you nodded, now another question coming to mind.
   "But, you got stung, didn't you?" You asked and Gally furrowed his brows in confusion.
   "Why do people keep saying this?" Gally asked and now you looked at him confused.
   "Because Minho—"
   "Where is that shuck face? I have a few things that I want to talk to him about, like slamming the butt of his machete over my damn head!" Gally exclaimed and now you were even more confused.
   "But Minho said you got stung. Did you see a Greiver?"
   "Yeah, he wasn't lying about that. But the only thing I got from that Maze was a shucking concussion from that slinthead."
   "So you weren't stung?" You asked and the boy shook his head. "Well thank god!" You sighed and the Builder laughed, going serious a few seconds later.
   "You ran in the Maze."
   "Med jacks say something?" You asked.
   "Yeah, they mentioned it." Gally said, but before you could respond, a loud screeching siren filled the air. It echoed through the Glade, even the Greivers could have heard it.
   "What was that?" You asked as you and Gally made your way outside. Gally ran ahead and Chuck jogged up to you. Newt, Alby, and Minho were already there. You turned to the young boy and he looked up at you.
   "Hey Chuck, what the shuck is happening?" You asked and the boy gave you a worried glance.
   "It's the Greenie alarm." He told you.
   "Wait but that means..."
   "There's a new Greenie coming up in the box."
    "Wait, already? I thought—"
    "That it only happened once a month?" You and Chuck reached the box, "so did we."

   "How long do we wait?" You asked Minho as the group all surrounded the box. There were more Gladers here now than when you came up, but that was probably due to the fact that the box was coming up earlier than normal.
   "At this point I don't know. It should have been up by now. It dosn't normally take this long." He responded. Newt was standing next to Alby right in front of the box doors. Gally pushed his way through the crowd while you stayed at the back with Minho.
   Then, you heard the doors opening. Gally's head now disappeared from sight which meant he probably went in the box. Suddenly, there were quiet gasps from the other Gladers.
   "Day one Greenie, rise and shine." You heard Gally say and then Newt jumped down into the box. That's where your patients wore through. You barged through all the Gladers that blocked your path.
   "Where are going shuck face?" You heard Minho groan. The boy seemed to be tiered of following you.
   You made your way to the box to see what was happening. Again, more gasps and whispering, you thought you heard someone call dibs. Whoever was in there really intrigued the Gladers and you wanted to figure out why. You curiosity had been piqued.
   When you got through the crowd however, you were left shocked. You saw her. More like you saw them.
   "I told you, she is changing everything!" Ron said loudly, pointing at you.
   "Shuck off Ron! This had nothing to do with me." You said sharply.
   "Alby..." Ron tried.
   "Ron! Enough!" Both Alby and Newt said at the same time and so the boy stood back. You had no idea what that boys problem was, but it was getting on your nerve.
    "Who are you?" The person in the box asked. "What is this place?" There was something about their voice that you remembered, you just couldn't figure it out. The back of their head was facing you so you couldn't see their face.
   Then you looked over to the girl, she was the real reason the Gladers were all shocked. There, next to the Greenie, was her limp unmoving body. Newt made his way over, squatting down to check her pulse. She was breathing, so that was a good sign. Then, he took a piece of paper from the girls hand.
   "They're the last ones ever." The British boy read aloud. "What the hell does that mean?"
   This was all getting too much. Then, all of a sudden, the girl jolted up with a huge gasp. She was panting heavily and then looked at the boy.
   "Thomas?" She said.

Thomas?

Then, the girl looked at you.
   "(Y/n)?" She said and then she fainted. All heads shot to you and again, you felt uncomfortable.

Oh crap

   All of a sudden, Gally threw the boy, Thomas, up from the box. He landed with a thud, but it didn't take him long to push himself up. Then, the boy made a run for it.
   "We got a runner!" One of the boys yelled out and everyone began laughing, everyone except you. Nothing about this was funny to you, and it shouldn't be to them either. You knew what it felt like to be terrified of  the unknown. Being brought up from this damp dark small box. The feeling of not knowing what was happening, not knowing where you are or who these people are. And the worst feeling of not knowing who you were yourself.
   You had to stop him from running though,  because he was heading straight for the Maze. It would be a bad start to his first day in the Glade if he ran in there. But first, you turned to all the boys laughing.
   "What is wrong with all of you?!" You said as you chased after the boy. He was fast but you were faster. It didn't take long for you to be sided by side with the Greenie.
   You knew there was only one real good way to stop him. One way you could confirm would work. You put your foot out and tripped him. He fell hard, but you caught him before he face planted. You dropped him gently and he turned to face you and his eyes widened as did yours. You knew this boy. This was him. Thomas. The boy from your memories. And that girl, she was Teresa.