Part Fifteen: The Greivers

You were running through the Maze as fast as you could, the Greiver hot on your tail. Your feet pounded against the concrete and your footsteps barely audible against the Greivers clanking strides. Adrenaline pulsed through your veins and even though you have never felt so terrified in your life, you have never felt so exhilarated.
   You turned carelessly around every corner. You didn't have the time to check to see if another Greiver was waltzing around as you could only be focussed on the one behind you.
   As you ran, you felt the ground beneath you rumble. Then, the familiar sound of clanking and grinding gears filled your ears. You knew what was happening, the walls were moving. The Maze was changing.
   The ground beneath you then jolted, taking you by surprise. The Greiver went unfazed. You and the Greiver began rising as the floor was becoming a wall. You ran faster because the moment this wall completely rose, there was no where you could go. You kept running towards the next wall that stood in front of you, covered with veins. In this life, it seemed that your best friend was the veins and your best option was the most dangerous one.
   There was no time to think. That was apparently always the case for you. You sped up your speed if that was even possible, and then jumped, soaring through the sky, wrapping yourself in the veins. You didn't fall which was a good sign. You heaved a sigh when all of a sudden, the Greiver was right on top of you, clawing and what you could assume was trying to sting you.
   It's mechanical arm dove at you hard, missing you and cracking the concrete wall. You refused to go through the changing again, making sure that stinger ended up anywhere else than in you.
   Instinct took over and you let go of the vines, screaming as you plummeted down. You were just able to grab onto the vines before you reached the ground. Your hands burned like you had just touched fire as they slid down bare on the rope-like vines. Luckily for you, shock helped take away the pain for the time being. The Greiver jumped down after you but got stuck in the vines.
   You didn't have time to react as another Greiver jumped over the struggling one and began chasing you. Where these Greivers kept coming from, you had no idea, nor did you really care at that moment.
   You kept running, your heart racing, adrenaline pumping, sweat dripping down your forehead. You kept going until you got to a dead end. You turned back to see the approaching Greiver.
   "Shuck!" You looked back. There was no way out of this. Well... that's wasn't true. But of course, as usual, the only way out was risky. But at this point, there was no such thing as risk. "C'mon (y/n), you got this." You whispered to yourself, trying to boost your own confidence.
   You looked at the Greiver and then, you bolted towards it. Once it saw you running after it, the ugly beast picked up speed. Once it was close enough, the thing jumped for you. In a swift turn of events however, you used your momentum and slid right under the slimy excuse for a spider. It was exhilarating. The Greiver slammed hard into the wall.
   "Ha ha! Take that you ugly shank!" You laughed, but then, someone's big hands covered your mouth and pulled you away. You screamed and kicked but when that didn't work you resulted to biting. The hand went back immediately.
   "Ow! You bit me!" Minho cried and you turned to him quickly.
   "Sorry! I thought you were—"
   "A Greiver?! Greivers don't have hands you shucking slinthead, god!" Minho shouted, waving his hand in pain. "You were supposed to be right behind me! Where did you go shuck face?!" Minho asked aggressively.
   "Oh you know, I was hanging with the unicorn gods Minho. Do you wanna meet them?" You asked sarcastically, pointing to the direction the Greiver was. The boy smiled and rolled his eyes.
   "C'mon shuck face, we'll lose em in the Maze while it changes." He said, pulling you along behind him.

   You and Minho bolted, turning corner after corner. There was only one Greiver now and it was gaining. You had been able to gain and lose Greivers along the way but this shuck face refused to get off your tail.
   "This way! The walls are closing here! We'll loose it in there!" Minho shouted but you didn't respond. You noticed that Minho had a huge machete strapped to the back of his leather runners vest.
As usual, you had a dumb idea that would most likely get you killed.
    In one swift motion, you pulled the blade out of its leather slit. Minho didn't even seemed fazed as he ran through first. The wall was gradually sliding shut. You stopped and stared, you looked back but the Greiver was looking for you. It must of lost you, but deep down you knew it would find you eventually, running from it was only delaying the inevitable.
   "Shuck face! Move!" Minho yelled and you looked back at him. He was on the other side safely while you were still in the same position. Then, Minho saw his machete in your hands.
   "(Y/n), DONT YOU DAR—"
   "Hey! Over here! Hey!" You screamed, cutting Minho off. The Greiver whipped it's head around and laid its black beading eyes upon you. Then it screeched loudly before bolting in your direction.
   "(Y/N)!" Minho shouted but you ignored him. The Greiver was galloping its way toward you and you realised you only had one chance to back out.
No turning back
   "See you on the other side!" You shouted back to Minho, and then, you charged at the Greiver. You heard Minho yell for you to pull away, but you ignored him, only focusing on the task at hand.
   You and the Greiver were gradually nearing each other and you were only then beginning to have second thoughts. What if it didn't work?

Well, you thought to yourself, if this doesn't work than your screwed.

   You picked up speed, needing the momentum for what you were going to attempt. You did it before so you could do it again, right?
   Gripping the machete tightly in your hand, you approached closer to the Greiver. You were terrified, but you never felt so alive. You were almost close enough to touch the Greiver at this point.
   Suddenly, you dropped to your knees, skidding against the concrete. The Greiver, not expecting this, kept going. This brought your opportunity. It was a do it now or you'll die moment, so you didn't hesitate to drive that machete right through the Greiver's head, letting it slid through the body.

(Wicked Worker POV)

   "Sir, you should see this." The worker said and the man made his way over to the computer. He looked to be severely impatient, as if he had something better to do. Maybe he did.
  "What?" He asked but all the worker did was replay the video. The man suddenly looked worried and intrigued, his mouth hanging open slightly. "No... this isn't possible."
   "What do you want us to do? Pull her out?" The worker asked but the man shook his head.
   "Call Paige, if she wants her to be pulled from the maze than pull her." The boss responded but the worker shook his head.
   "We already called"
   "And?"
   "She said not to pull her. We are to carry out phase one exactly as we planned it. The only problem is that we have to speed it up." The worker said.
   "And how the hell does she expect us to do that?"
   "We send in Thomas and Teresa at the same time." The man did not look happy but he sighed and looked at the screen, re watching the clip again.
   "She did that?" He asked.
   "Yes sir."
   "I knew it was a bad idea, sending her in the maze after everything that she's done. She wasn't ready, she's too unstable. She's gonna ruin the whole test."
   "But, she never did anything that effected people." The worker protested but the man just looked at him with a flat expression.
   "You'd be surprised." He muttered. "We never should have put her in."
   "It was one Greiver sir, we will recover."
   "That's the problem. The Greivers weren't supposed to be killable."