nine

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
nine: more dance lessons
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

     Their Valentine's Day date had to wait, since they had rehearsals that afternoon and they could not skip it. Both teenagers had delayed their entrance all they could, whispering sweet nothings on the hallway and smiling at each other.

     "I cannot wait to give you my gifts," Juliette smiled, looking up at the boy.

     "And I cannot wait to give you mine," the boy responded in the same way, playing with the heart antlers that the girl was still wearing. They had spent all morning giving out the flowers and gifts that the students had bought for their partners, friends, crushes... and now Juliette was in a love rush, eager to demonstrate how much she loved all her friends.

     "Hey, you need to get in already," E.J. stepped outside the bomb shelter, "Miss Jenn is calling for Ricky."

     "Are you good?" the curly-haired boy questioned, looking at the senior with a strange look.

     "Yeah, yeah, it's..." he fidgeted with the script he had on his hands, "It's my first Valentine's Day without a girlfriend and, uh, stings a little but, uh, taking it in stride," he chuckled.

     "Eej, you're dressed in all black," the redhead laughed softly, making Ricky smile and E.J. look at his outfit, claiming that "it had just happened", although they knew it had not. With that, they all entered the bomb shelter, where Carlos was ready to start.

     "The title song of Beauty and the Beast is the centerpiece of our show," he explained, placing himself in the middle of the room as everyone interrupted their conversations to look at him, "Written at the height of Ashman and Menken's powers, and it's the most romantic ballad since Suddenly, Seymour. As a reminder, Belle is finally falling for the Beast and it's not because of Stockholm syndrome. Love is love."

     "Ricky and Ash, it's time to review the waltz." Gina stepped in, instructing the two main actors to walk towards the middle of the room, where they would have enough space to dance, "Let's take it way under tempo."

     What was supposed to be an emotional scene turned out to be a disaster. Kourtey could not concentrate on the song, making it sound weird; on the other hand, Ricky and Ahslyn could not dance even if their lives had depended on them. Ashlyn was actually doing great, she knew her waltz steps, but Ricky was useless. 

     It did not matter how many instructions Miss Jenn gave that they could simply not get it right, "Belle is the most beautiful girl in town and the Beast is, I'm sorry, Ricky, beastly. Maybe close your eyes and imagine the full scene in makeup and wardrobe."

     "Hey, do you mind if I take a quick five?" Ashlyn interrupted, right before they started the piece all over again. Everyone asked her if she was feeling okay and, even if she replied positively, they knew better. They had known Ashlyn long enough, especially E.J. and Gina, to know that something was wrong. 

     "Juliette, please, try to get Ricky to get at least one step right," Miss Jenn pleaded, "we need him to nail the waltz. It is a pivotal scene in the play and... he has two left feet. No offense, Ricky."

     As Carlos approached Seb and Big Red talked to Ashlyn, who had entered the room again once Miss Jenn had dismissed the rehearsal for the day, Juliette took Ricky's hand and ran with him to the auditorium, both giggling. 

     As soon as they arrived to the empty room, they closed the doors behind them as Juliette looked for the song on her Spotify. They really should not be there but... it was for a good cause. For art's sake.

    The first notes of the well-known song started, Juliette left her phone on the piano and placed Ricky's hands on the right place, as she did the same with hers. Whispering the instructions to him, they started moving slowly. At first, the boy could not get the eyes off of their feet but, as the song went on and he gained more confidence on his steps, he even dared to lift his gaze from time to time, in order to look at Juliette.

     Unfortunately, the song was not eternal and it soon came to an end, "you've done great, Ricky. Just... don't step on Ashlyn's feet. And look at her, that's indispensable."

     "You'll have to give me more dance lessons, then," he whispered back. They did not want to raise their voices too much, in order to remain alone in the big room (and to avoid detention as well). 

     "I can give you as many as you want," she replied, pecking his lips, "and now I have to go. We have to re-count all the money we got from the flowers and all."

     "Call you later and come by?"

     "Absolutely."

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

     "What is she doing here?" Alex whispered to Carol, one of the members of the art club, as soon as she stepped into the room. She had not been there all morning, so she had had no opportunity to realize that Juliette was helping with the Valentine's Day plan.

     "You can talk to me, I'm right here," she replied, with a kind tone. She really did not want to fight with her best friend.

      "Oh, are you? That's a novelty."

     "I committed myself to help with Valentine's Day and that is what I have done. Plus, I'm still helping with everything I can. I am still part of the club." By this point, the blonde was already getting closer to the redhead, making everyone fall silent and stay alert, in case any of the two decided to throw a punch.

     "And you can do this all alone? Or do you need Ricky too?"

     "Don't make this about Ricky too, he has nothing to do with anything," she replied, this time raising her tone. She was tired of having the same argument, "I'm going to start thinking that you are jealous."

     "Me? Jealous? Jealous of a girl that completely changes because of a stupid boy?" she laughed, mocking her, "look at you. You have even changed the way you dress. Since when do you wear skirts? This one does not even fit you."