03: Butterflies

My beautiful morning had already been ruined by jerk-face

My beautiful morning had already been ruined by jerk-face. I mean, who does he think he is? He was the one who broke up with me and then went with my so-called stupid best friend. Who does that?

I know the answer to that question. Jason or as I like to call him; fuck face, imbecile, jerk-face... should I go on?

I spent the whole day replaying our fight. Thank God no one but Miles was there to witness it. I'm already embarrassed everyone knows what went down, fighting in front of everyone is not my ideal plan. It's happened one too many times already. People talk and gossip. I've been trying to keep my image perfect. I don't need him ruining it more than he already has.

I've seen Miles at school a few times. I've walked past him a couple of times, but he seems to keep to himself. I've never seen him talk with others, but I can't really say. I don't know him and now? Now he's my new boyfriend.

"Babe, take it easier with your hair, at this point you'll be bald by tomorrow." Nia snaps at me. I look over to where my best friend is standing, already in her cheer uniform ready for me to start the practice, but my hair was not cooperating. The red top and skirt do wonders to Nia's darker skin. Nia knows how much I care about my hair. I silently apologize to it since I was about to chop it up with a pair of scissors.

"Whatever. I'll just braid it." I grabbed the hairbrush that had fallen down and quickly do my hair. Nia who seems to be holding in a laugh walks over to me and hugs me.

"Calm down Diana. Stop letting him get to your head." She smells like strawberry milkshake.  "You are awesome. Just breathe." It's one of does best friends' hugs. Her hands wrap around my waist tightly like I could fall apart at any moment. I'm thankful for her ability to know how I'm feeling without me having to explain it. No one can do that except her.

"Now you sound like that one girl that sings just breathe during in the heights." Ironically the character's name had been Nina, I think.

"Speaking of that, when are we watching it?"

"Thursday?"

"We'll make it a girls' night and we'll relax. Now come on, the team's waiting for us." Having Nia beside me for the last two years has been one of the best things that have ever happened to me. She's my person. Nia instantly clicked with me and Alyssa and we became a great trio. We were always together no matter what. During her first day here, she bumped into me and the rest is history. I know I can count on her with just about anything and her wise words always help me calm down.

We walk outside, the sun ready to bake us into fresh cookies. I gather the team telling them our plans for today which involve warming up, practicing our jumps, and making sure to fit in our routine practice. There is a game next week and we must look perfect.

I've been cheerleading since middle school. I used to take gymnastics and dance classes, but they weren't for me. Cheerleading is the perfect balance between both.