27: we are fixing it

I'm not even inside the house when my mother starts to asking me questions

I'm not even inside the house when my mother starts to asking me questions. She stands there and for the first time, I see her hair in a messy ponytail, her clothes, sweatpants, and a t-shirt. She looks comfortable. Her face with no make-up.

"Diana Lewis, explain this right now!" I close the door behind me, drop my bag, and walk to the kitchen; her trailing behind me.

"Explain what?" The chilliness from the fridge escapes for a second as I grab a water bottle.

"This video." She hands me the phone and presses play, but I don't need to see it. I already know what video this is. It's the same video that caused issues between Miles and me. And now it's causing issues between my mother and me.

Real classy move Jason. He can't seem to lose.

I let the video play so I can think about what I'm going to say.

"Mo-"

"Diana. I'm going to speak first, okay." Her voice is soft catching me off guard. "You were in a fake relationship?"

"Yes," I whisper.

"Why? Please, please be honest with me."

"I wanted to go against you." I am surprised by my quick honesty. "Maybe get your attention. Obviously, it worked, but in the worst way." I don't raise my voice. It stays neutral as I tell her. "You were so bent on me being with Jason, but you didn't notice how bad he treated me the last few weeks we were together. And then Miles was there one day when Jason was being too much and everything just happened. And then slowly I started to really like him."

"You did this to get my attention?" I look up at my mother and her eyes are filled with tears. They sparkle with the glassy look. "I'm- I"m sorry I made you feel like I didn't want you or didn't give you enough attention."

"You constantly told me I was gaining pounds. You made me feel bad about myself so much Mom. You hated Miles just because he was Hispanic. Because he wasn't rich like Jason. Mom, what was that? That's not you. That's not the same person who raised me when I was small. I ended up being raised by Maggy and I love her for it. But I wanted my mom. I wanted you to be here. I wanted you when I was twelve and I fell in my cheer game. I wanted you on a late-night to watch movies with me and tell me everything was going to be okay. I really just wanted my mom."

Her hand is on her chest and I see the small tear break out of her eye and fall onto her cheek. She wipes it away quickly.

"I am so sorry Diana. for everything. For not being there when you needed me. For making you feel that way about yourself. For making you do things like this just to get my attention. I've been so focused on my job and trying to fix things with your father. I'm so sorry."

"What do you mean trying to fix things with dad? What's going on?"

"Honey," She takes a big pause and I know how serious this is going to be. "He and I are getting a divorce." She walks over to me and her hands wrap around me and I can't help but do the same. All of our layers are down. Our walls have crumbled. It's just her and me and a lot of mistakes that we, as a mother and daughter, are trying to fix.

"Is there someone else? Did one of you guys-"

"No darling, no. We haven't been okay for a long time. That's why we're never here. He usually stays at a hotel while I travel around for my job. We both think it's time we told you."

"Oh." Is all I say. My mouth seems to have been sewn together because I don't know what to say. How to react. I don't know whether or not I should be sad. But all the trips? Him not talking to me. Them not talking at all either. I've been so hell-bent on getting my mom to notice me, I didn't notice she was suffering as well. Both mom and dad are suffering.

Dad walks into the kitchen. He looks at us like he's trying to figure out what's happening. It takes him a moment to put one and one together. I see the gear turning in his head. "You told her. You finally told her." He whispers.

No one dares to speak. There's no tension in the air. Just sadness.

"Dad, I'm sor-"

"Don't apologize. It's going to be better this way. It's for the good darling. I want to fix my relationship with you and your mom. It's just going to take some time. But I'm willing to try. I'll be living close by so you can stay with me or your mom whenever you want."

I smile through the tears. I don't feel sad or frustrated. For the first time with my family, I feel content. I understand what's going on between them. I want them to be okay with each other, but if it means separating them so be it.

"Okay." Mom hasn't said anything, but I know she's sorry. Sorry for the way she treated Miles. Sorry for forcing Jason. Sorry for everything. And I forgive her. I forgive dad as well. I don't think I could ever stay mad at them. Because the important thing is that they are trying.

We are all trying.

"Diana," Dad speaks as I head out of the kitchen. Mom is still inside. "Miles is a good boy. I'm glad he treats you how you deserve. I never really liked Jason."

"Thank you."

Closure for my family. That is what I just received.

The first thing I do is facetime flower and tell him everything. He listens incisively cutting me in when he gasps and makes a small comment. Up until now, I hadn't noticed the face of adoration he makes when he looks at me. I have never been an observant person, but with him. I want to learn everything about him. His eyes light up as I rant about anything. His face seems to relax like my voice is one of an angel and he just heard the most beautiful song. 

Guess who posted a very short story

Guess who posted a very short story... me! It's a paranormal x romance short story with a twist. I hope you guys like it <3

also new cover... hope you guys like it!