29: we did it

The sky gets filled with a hundred blue caps as we, the recently graduated, celebrate

The sky gets filled with a hundred blue caps as we, the recently graduated, celebrate. We made it. We did it. After four years of constant hard work, late nights studying, early morning for cheerleading practice, and a whole lot of unnecessary drama... I graduated.

"It is sad knowing many of us will lose contact in a few months and will probably never hear from each other again. Maybe will see something that reminds you of one of us and you'll think: hey I wonder how they are doing. No matter what, I think you all affected who I am today. You all played a key role in who I am today, and for that I thank you. Congratulations class of 2021. We made it."

I closed off my valedictorian speech with that exact sentence. When the office first told me I won, I couldn't believe it. Of course, I knew I was in the running against a few other students; but it felt surreal. Being on that stage, talking to all my fellow peers, teachers, and parents. I was elated, to say the least.

I looked for Miles after my graduation cap safely landed a few feet away from him. I could spot him easily in a sea full of seniors. His messy brown hair sticking out in all directions after wearing the cap for so long. I ran to him and he opened his arms.

"We did it, baby. We did it hermosa!" My legs wrap around his waist as he pulls me up. My head instantly finds its way to his neck... it always does.

"We did, didn't we?" Miles ended up being honor and I couldn't be more proud of him. I know how he feels about school which makes me feel even prouder. He gently places me back and gives me a quick kiss. I spot his mom and siblings approaching us.

"Hey, Sophia. Alex." I say to annoy him and he quickly rolls his eyes.

"And to think I came here to hug you."

"Aw. You big baby. Come here." Alejandro engulfs me in a hug and Clarissa joins in.

"I want a hug too. Congrats D."

"Thank you, guys," I mumble against Alejandro's chest. We pull apart. A few minutes after catching my mom and dad find us. After everything, we are slowly falling back into a goof partner. The divorce went smoothly I suppose. They both agreed on it. Dad has dinner with us most days; he says he's trying to fix our relationship and I believe him. I really do. Mom is doing the same, but it's a little harder with her.

"I am so proud of you Diana. Never forget that." Mom whispers into my ear as she hugs me harder than she's ever done before. A true mom hug.

"We got you something querida," Sophia says as she pulls a small box from her purse. A pink ribbon is taped on top of it.

"You didn't have to. Thank you." I rip apart the paper to reveal a beautiful gold necklace with a heart. I feel Miles's arms sneak around my waist.

"Turn it around hermosa." He whispers. I do. Behind the heart, the letters D and M are engraved to it.

"Oh my- this is beautiful. Thank you really. I love it." I place it in my own bag. I'll put it on back home.