04: Lidia's Diner

"Guess who has a girlfriend

"Guess who has a girlfriend." The words fly out of me before I have a chance to actually analyze them. My brother, Alejandro, who is sitting in his side of the room looks up from his book.

"My guess is anyone but you." He ruffles his black hair and stretches himself after. We go to the same highschool, how hasn't he heard the rumors? Maybe he has heard them and is acting like a little dick to piss me off.

"Incorrect. I have a girlfriend." I say jumping onto my bed and kicking off my shoes.

"Who?" His tone is amused and I can tell he is enjoying this. Little fucker, cabron.

"Diana fucking Lewis." Alejandro burst out laughing. A very exaggerated fake laugh and it takes everything in me not to beat him up right there. Mom would kill us both if that happened.

"I have more chances of falling in love with Carla before you get to date Diana." Carla was his childhood enemy. For some reason they've hated each other since they were little. No one really knows why.

"Why is it so hard to believe?" I don't know why I ask that, I know the answer. Diana Lewis may look all perfect on the outside with her perfect life, but-

"Because she's one of the prettiest girls in school. She may be nice, but I know she wants a guy with status. Her family is crazy rich Miles. You don't mix with girls like that and they don't mix with you."

"Where's the latino vote of confidence? I could win her over with my spanish." I could pull a Marc Anothony and serenade her with some salsa dancing, i think to myself. Anything is possible with MArc Anthony. 

"Look man, all am saying is be careful with her. Everyone loves her, but she seems too perfect to be real." He has no idea how right he is. Alejandro is two years younger than me, he probably doesn't really remember everything that happened back then.

"Shut up." I grab the pillow next to me and throw it at him. He curses under his breath and shifts his attention back to his book. Mom makes us read a book per week. Some random shit she saw in a magazine about how reading helps kids grow and develop. I have no clue.

"Diana isn't the same girl you or any of us used to know Miles."  Alejandro comments in a low voice. So soft I barely catch on to his words.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I don't know why I ask. I know what he's going to say and I hate him for saying it.

"Dad was here back then. That should be enough of a reason." So he does remember a bit.

I ignore Alejandro and grab my work uniform. It's  a stupid ligh blue shirt with a boom box in the corner with my name under it. My shift doesn't start yet. I have forty minutes before I need to leave, so I try to get some studying done before.

I don't know how some people are able to cramb for a test the night before and somehow manage to get an A. I study a week before and still end up with a B.