22: i knew you

*eight years ago*

*eight years ago*

I stepped on my shoelace. I tripped and my knee hit the pavement. I saw red dots forming against my skin while the tears filled my eyes.

"Mommy!" I screamed as I hugged my leg tighter. No one came to check if I was okay.

"Is that blood?" The boy almost pokes my knee with his finger, but I slap it off. Was that rude to do? Maggy always tells me not to hit anyone. He's going to hate me now, isn't he? "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit you." I say looking down at my knee again.

"It's okay. I'm a big boy." He stands up straighter, but by the look of disgust on his face, I don't think he's okay. His face is making the face I do when I smell burnt eggs. "Those it hurt? It looks disgusting."

I look up at him. "A little. I called my mom but she didn't hear."

"Look it's drying off." He pointed to my knee again. My nasty blood had dried up. It just looked like patches. He was right, it was disgusting. "What's your name?"

"Diana. What's yours?"

'I'm trying to get my mom to call me Marc." He tells me.

"Why?"

"My favorite artist is called like that."

"That's stupid," I tell him. "What's your real name?"

"Miles." I giggle.

"They both start with an M."

"I like Marc more." I don't say anything back. I just look at my knee. All bruised up. I want mommy.

"Do you want to get ice cream?" I ask him.

"Sure. But I don't have any money."

"That's okay. Mommy gave me five dollars."

"Awesome. Do you need help getting up?" I shook my head and got up myself. Boys had cooties, I wasn't going to touch him. My knee hurt a bit, but I was strong. Dad and Mommy always tell me I'm strong. Maggy also.

"What ice cream do you like?"

"Chocolate.' Miles tells me or Marc. I don't know what to call him.

"Me too. Our friendship is meant to be." I squeal.

"Who said I wanted to be friends." He says crossing his arms.

"Me silly. And because I'm getting you ice cream."

"Okay. I don't have many friends."

"You have me now," I tell him.

The ice cream truck stops at the end of the street. My knee no longer hurts. The ice cream made it better and Miles did also. He talks a lot and sometimes he says things in another language. Miles is funny. He makes lame jokes.

"Thanks for the ice cream."

"Yeah." I head back home, dried up blood in my knee and a tummy full of ice cream, and a new friend. 

Raise your hand if you guessed that Diana and Miles knew each other before? 

In honor of 15k I thought I'd give you a little flashback of Miles and Diana! It's short, but I still really like it

Also, I really want to hit 1k votes before hitting 20k so if you haven't voted on the chapters please do! Votes show wattpad that people are reading the book and enjoying it, so please! Let's vote on the chapters! Thank you so much.