Arc 2: Head's Up!... What?!

Head's Up!... What?!

"I want money!" I groaned miserably. I want money. And a lot of it. I hugged my head with both hands and buried my face on the table.

"Anyone would obviously want that. It's the same for me too... By the way, aren't you being too useless? To let a goddess like me stay in the stables, don't you know shame? If you get it, let me live more luxuriously. Take better care of me!" The one complaining to me was a beautiful girl with blue hair and eyes.

This girl, whose only strong point was her good looks, was Aqua, and I think she was some sort of goddess—

"... Don't you know why I crave for money so badly?"

"The elegant and wonderful me wouldn't understand what a former hikikomori like you is thinking about right? You are after the funds for you to stay a Hikikomori forever, isn't that-..." I cut her blabbering.

"It's debts." When Aqua heard what I said, she trembled and averted her gaze.

"It's the debts alright! Because of the money you owed, most of the rewards from quest are garnished! Even the ones that I stored so I can buy my own place to live! My brows were frozen when I woke up in the stables this morning! The other adventurers are already renting rooms in the tavern to sleep! If we keep doing this during winter, we will freeze to death in the stables! Get a grip, now is not the time to say stupid things like 'I will return victoriously after defeating the demon king'!" I slammed my hand on the table as I lectured Aqua who averted her eyes and cupped her ears.

—In this world, there were people known as adventurers.

They fought monsters that threatened the lives of people night and day, and preoccupied themselves day by day without worrying about the next.

Even the adventurers who were not known for their long term planning mulled their time away in the inn during the winter.

This was because the weak monsters had all hibernated in the winter; only the dangerous creatures were active.

Our base was the town where novice adventurers congregated, Axel. For adventurers who were just slightly stronger than amateurs, taking up quests during the winter was suicidal.

At this moment, Aqua banged the table and rebuked.

"That couldn't be helped! If not for my superb performance, this town would have been destroyed!? How unreasonable to just throw the debts to us without a word of thanks! This is ridiculous! I want to complain to the counter staff!"

"Hey, stop that, don't trouble the counter staff lady!... In the end, we did receive a large amount of reward... It's just that it was negated by the debts. Destroying a part of town was not something that could be ignored." This town was attacked by a boss of the Demon King army named Beldia.

Demon King. That's right, that kind of Demon king. The demon king that exists in games and manga sent one of the bosses to attack us. That time, Aqua summoned a large quantity of water which was the weakness of the enemy. After the boss was weakened, I moved forward courageously and resolved the attack, but—

"What's with you! Kazuma was just running away before using 'steal' during the final moments on the Dullahan, who I weakened, and took his head! Praise me more! Respect me! Don't stop worshiping me! Everyone in the guild should adore me as a goddess and respect me!" Ranted the fame-thirsty bitch. It's not just you who did all the work!

"You annoying fame-seeking idiot! You will act all arrogant if I don't put you in your place! Sigh... Fine, I admit the incident was settled all thanks to you! So you will get all the credits for it. You happy now!? Then go clear the debts alone!"