Chapter 3: A Simple Saree and the Start of A Poisonous Journey

Amma couldn't contain her excitement.

"Pallavi, thank you, for accepting my son's hand. I can't tell you how happy I am. I know that you two are made for each other. I know this is last minute, so you probably didn't have time to think about another sari or jewelry. There's still time before we have to get started, come upstairs with me, I have a sari for you. Wait, where is your Aai, your brother, and the rest of your family?"

Pallavi was shocked at Amma's attitude, why was she happy with this wedding? Didn't she find the speed odd? Had she believed the lies Raghav had made about their so called "relationship?" Yesterday it seemed like Jaya had understood her, but perhaps no mother can think badly of their son, even if the proof is right in front of their eyes.

"No, Aunty, you know that Baba is still in the hospital, so they couldn't come..." Pallavi had to think fast, she needed to convince Jaya that this wasn't some 'runaway' wedding, "but I told Aai what was happening, I— I took her blessing." Pallavi lied quickly.

Amma seemed to only be half listening, she seemed to be lost in thought about something, "Of course of course, your Baba is sick, of course your family should be with him. Come upstairs, let's help you change. Keerthi, come here." Amma pulled Pallavi up the stairs, Keerthi following behind them. Pallavi's eyes met Raghav's who had stayed quiet during this whole conversation. Why hadn't he said anything, why did he want this wedding, why didn't he even throw a single insult her way?

His brows furrowed as they looked at each other. Had Pallavi actually told her mother what she was doing? If she did, how would he face Sharda tomorrow? Though he disliked almost every member of the Deskhmukh clan, Pallavi's mother seemed nice. Like every mother, only looking out for her children. She may not like him, or trust him. Why would she? But he would need to make sure she didn't make any mess after this wedding, for Amma's and Keerthi's sakes.

Jaya Aunty brought Pallavi inside a bedroom upstairs, and on the bed was a beautiful but simple yellow Pochampalli saree, along with a few jewelry boxes that looked nearly twenty to thirty years old. She recognized that the saree was from her shop, she had chosen to produce a few simple options for women that weren't interested in glitz or glamour, but in the art of wearing a saree, and showing the world how such a simple design could make anyone feel like a princess

"I bought this saree a couple days ago, I know it's simple, but when I saw it I told Krishna that I had to have it. It will look so pretty on you, the red border isn't too wide, and it's not that delicate of a design, it's simple but—"

"It's beautiful, Aunty. Thank you for buying it, I designed it a few months ago, but no one bought this design. Women said it was too simple for their events, but that's what they don't realize, a saree doesn't have to have gold thread woven into its border, or complicated netting to be beautiful..."

Pallavi wanted to go on and on about the sari, but she caught Amma's smile and stopped.

"I'll change now." Pallavi said, remembering why she had to wear this saree in the first place. What a shame such a beautiful saree would be forever tainted by the memory of today, of Raghav.

"Also, this necklace. I don't have a lot to give you as my new daughter-in-law. But I wore this at my wedding, and my mother-in-law wore it at her wedding. It's not that heavy..."

"It's not necessary—" Pallavi started.

"Of course it is," Keerthi piped in, getting out some safety pins, a hair brush, and some makeup from her bag.

"It's a wedding...your wedding! You can't not take a gift from your mother-in-law. And now your new sister-in-law is going to help you get ready. Amma, you can go back downstairs, go make sure the groom hasn't run away!"

Amma laughed and walked back downstairs. Then the room was completely silent. Pallavi held the sari and the necklace in her hands, looking off through the open window. Maybe she could just jump out the window and start running, it was only one story up.

"Pallavi," Keerthi touched her shoulder, "are you okay? Are you sure you want to do this?"

Pallavi jumped back into reality, she looked at Keerthi, and put on her fake half-smile again. "So, are you going to help me get into this saree or not?"

Keerthi smiled and nodded. She could tell Pallavi was hiding something, that she didn't want to be here. But if she didn't want to marry Raghav, why was she doing it? Was it just because her Baba had kicked her out? What had Raghav done to convince her?

After Keerthi tied a few strings of jasmine to Pallavi's hair, Pallavi got up and with that same empty cheeriness, "okay, showtime, let's go?"

Pallavi walked down the stairs with Keerthi. She had no idea how her feet were working, her brain was screaming at her to run, but then Nikhil's face full of tears behind bars in jail popped into her mind. She had to remind herself that even if Raghav had called her bluff, he had still sworn to get Nikhil out of jail. This sacrifice was necessary. After all, if Lord Shiva was able to drink the 'halahala' to save all of humanity, getting married to Raghav Rao was nothing.