Chapter 18: The Silent Treatment

The next morning it was clear that Pallavi was still angry at him. Raghav woke up to find her already out of bed. He went downstairs for breakfast, and quickly realized that both Amma and Keerthi were giving him the cold shoulder as well.

"Amma, Keerthi, come on, you're doing this for that Saree ka Dukaan?!" Raghav pleaded.

Pallavi flashed him a look, and honestly, Raghav thought, if looks could kill.

Amma smiled and walked up to Raghav, "Beta, today you get your own very special...protein shake." In one move she slammed down a shake in front of him and took away his plate. Raghav grumbled, got up, and took his shake with him, muttering "I must be the only idiot in the world who willingly wanted to live with three women." He slapped Reddy across the back of the head who was doing a bad job of hiding his laughter.

Amma looked at Pallavi, "He didn't apologize, did he?"

Pallavi laughed, "Raghav Rao, and sorry? Never. But you two are too nice, it's ok, you can give him lunch and dinner. I think being married to me is enough punishment for him."

Amma shook her head, she had hoped Raghav's anger and Pallavi's bitterness would settle down, she knew it had only been a three days, but she prayed to the gods to work their magic a little faster.

Keerthi giggled and whispered, "You know the misogynistic men who say 'shaadi barbaadi hai,' I always thought my brother would avoid it by staying single his whole life. But somehow Pallavi Di, both you and Bhai have made the silliest mistake of your life."

Pallavi laughed, yes she had made a mistake, but it was a deliberate sacrifice for her family, so she'd have to live with it. She thought about how besides Nikhil, no one from the Deshmukhs were talking to her, Aai clearly wanted to, but Pallavi could tell she was having a hard time believing Nikhil. Pallavi wasn't surprised that Sulochana Kaku and Amruta weren't talking to her, to be honest, she didn't really want to talk to them at this point. But the fact that even Milind Kaka and Mansi were avoiding her made her feel like the earth was giving way right beneath her feet. Kaka had always been her strongest supporter, but since Baba's health had taken a turn, Pallavi understood he had to stand by his brother, or at least show it. Mansi on the other hand, was acting like a child, and though it hurt Pallavi, she didn't plan on starting the mend in their relationship until Mansi made the first move. After two years of pretending that there was nothing wrong with Pallavi being a widow, working outside the home, and thinking for herself — suddenly more than half of her family had decided all of Pallavi's decisions over the past couple months had been wrong, mainly because she was a woman making them. While she understood Baba's anger, she had lied to him about the shop's accounts, the sting of the other accusations hurt and finally Pallavi had realized they were unfair. She hadn't taken away anyone's respect, all she had done was do her best to provide for her family. By the time they had finished breakfast, Raghav was long gone, most probably to work.

Pallavi realized halfway to the door that she couldn't go to the store today. She went upstairs and sat on her bed. Well, it wasn't her bed, she thought, it was Raghav's. Everything in this house was Raghav's, there would never be that feeling she got from the Deshmukh house, the feeling of belonging. After lying in the bed and staring at the ceiling for around an hour, Pallavi got a phone call. She picked up, not recognizing the number, "Hello." Her voice was flat and it would have been evident to any caller that Pallavi was depressed.

"Why so blue, Pallavi?" It was Vikram, "Is everything okay?"

Pallavi sat up, "Oh yes, I'm sorry I didn't recognize the number, I was just doing...nothing. I was doing nothing." She laughed despite her mood.

"Sometimes doing nothing is a great idea, everyone needs a break. But sadly, I'm calling to destroy your delightful plans to relax. I'm meeting with Raghav in an hour about some business, I was wondering if I could meet you as well. I've planned an excellent pitch for why my boutique should be the first place to host your designs."

Vikram kept his voice casual, but he hoped Pallavi agreed. There was something exciting and intriguing about Pallavi, her confidence and good nature, despite being married to such a notorious man, was alluring.

Pallavi paused for a moment, "Sure, why not?"

Across town, at Deshmukh Saree Emporium, Krishna was trying and failing to explain to Baba what had changed in his shop in the past two years. Krishna sighed as Baba failed to figure out Pallavi's ingenious order system on the laptop, criticized the organization of the stock, and was plainly rude to one of the customers who had come in with her son to pick out a saree for her new daughter-in-law.

Raghav watched Saanki Baba bumble from afar for a while before he decided to walk in.

"Mr. Vijay Deshmukh, of the grand and famous Deshmukh Saree Emporium. I'm so sorry to trouble you on what seems like a very busy day." Raghav smirked at the almost empty shop. At least when Saree ka Dukaan was running the place there were a few customers at this time of day.

Baba glared at Raghav, "What the hell do you want?"

Krishna cowered in the back of store, debating whether or not to tell Pallavi that Raghav was here, but when she heard what Raghav had to say, she decided against it.

"So you decided to fire the only employee you had who actually gave a damn? Interesting business decision." Raghav started, "Not a choice I would have made, personally, but what do I know?"

"Neither you nor Pallavi are welcome here anymore. You are worthless, and Pallavi is the most disloyal girl—"

Raghav took a few steps closer to Baba, "Listen here, your special little insults on my character don't affect me, but your lies about a woman you treasured as a daughter irk me a little. See, I only like to explain things once. I told you that first, this stupid little shop of yours doesn't really run without that Saree ka Dukaan. Secondly, if she's working here, she doesn't interfere in my work. Thirdly, me, and I'm betting Pallavi, have explained the situation. I'm sure she has apologized to you. In fact," Raghav looked at Vijay closely, "I'm sure your son, Junior College, has explained what happened to him a couple days ago and his helping hand in my wedding. So what exactly is your problem now?"

Vijay didn't change his expression or drop his gaze from Raghav's eyes, "I don't have the problem." A part of Vijay was obviously worried for Pallavi, especially looking closely at Raghav and his behavior, but today his anger and betrayal were able to defeat his fatherly affection.

Raghav stepped back, "Ok, it seems like you're the kind of man that needs explaining twice. Since this store is so precious to you, but also, one of the few things that Pallavi asked me not to touch before she agreed to marry me. I'll give you twenty four hours," Raghav may have hated Pallavi, but he was a man of his word, "by noon tomorrow, you will call your daughter, and if not an apology, you will at the very least tell her to come back to work here. Because it looks like your health can't take the work anymore."

Baba clenched his fists, "And when I don't do that? What will you do next, burn down the store?"

Raghav chuckled, "I would love to, but see I gave my word to your daughter that I wouldn't do anything of the sort. So I guess, if you don't agree, I'll have no choice but to convince Pallavi to let me help her open up her own showroom."

With that Raghav turned and walked out of the store. He had no idea why he cared so much about Saree ka Dukaan working here or anywhere, but he knew that Rambo Baap's ego was getting on his nerves. If defeating him meant helping that stupid Pallavi Deshmukh, then he'd buy a hundred showrooms if he had to. He smiled to himself as he got in his car, it wasn't Pallavi Deshmukh anymore he reminded himself, it was Pallavi Rao.