Chapter 29: Not What It Seems

When Raghav went down for breakfast he saw Pallavi quietly serving Amma and Keerthi before sitting down to start herself. When she saw Raghav, she got back up, and started filling up his plate too, much to Amma's and Keerthi's shock.

Pallavi smiled at Raghav when he took the plate from her, and then blushed, walking back to her seat.

"Soooo, Pallavi Di, Raghav, how was the party last night?" Keerthi asked, wondering what universe she had traveled into accidentally that neither Raghav nor Pallavi were fighting but instead stealing glances.

Raghav choked on his food a little, while Amma slapped him hard on the back, Pallavi laughed, "Keerthi, it was excellent, though I think it's best if we take away Raghav's access to whiskey, it makes him act very weird." She grinned at Raghav who was drinking water to clear his throat.

"Me? I act weird? But—" Raghav started.

Pallavi cleared her throat, "Yes, you, really Raghav, just because you're twenty-seven doesn't mean you can ignore your health."

Raghav shook his head at Pallavi while Amma wholeheartedly agreed with her suggestion, "Great idea, now Keerthi, didn't I tell you Pallavi would be a good influence on Raghav?"

"Oh yes, Amma, you were definitely right," Raghav smiled at Pallavi, "without Pallavi's influence how would I know exactly how many shots of whiskey it takes to dance like a teenager in a club."

Pallavi's eyes widened when Amma and Keerthi turned to look at her, "No, Amma, nothing like that happened. Raghav—Raghav stop lying."

"Main root bol raha hun? Tum kya each bol rahi thi? Arre itna mat boot bolo ki Bolinath bhi sharam se unka chehara chhupaana pad."

Pallavi got up and was about to hit Raghav with the empty roti casserole, when he laughed and got up, running around the room to avoid her. "See Amma, she gets so violent, what kind of daughter-in-law have you brought to the house?"

Amma and Keerthi were besides themselves with laughter as Pallavi and Raghav chased each other. Pallavi caught up with Raghav, but he just grabbed her wrists and out the casserole on the table. "Saree ka Dukaan, kabhi fursat milegi na, toh Hindu Marriage Act pado, ek spouse ka torture karna ek bahut bada gunna hai, then saal ka sazaa."

"Achaa pati dev, tum mujhe kanun sikhaoege, Hyderabad ke Don?" Pallavi smiled, pulling her arms away and putting her hands on her hips.

"kisee ko tumko sikhaana padega, varna" Raghav made a flying motion with his hand, "tum seedha undhar, jail mein." He laughed, almost forgetting that Keerthi and Amma were watching he moved to hug Pallavi and kiss her forehead, but then gathered himself.

Amma stood up and walked to the both of them, placing her hands on their heads, "Bhagvaan tum dono ko hamesha khush rake, aur ek saath, aur jail ke bahaar."

Raghav looked at Pallavi and grinned, walking back to his breakfast.

"Achaa, Amma, I might be a little late today, mujhe boutique ke liya kuch karma baakhi hai. Our first shoot for my new designs is next week, though. I'm so excited." Pallavi said, then she rolled up the roti on her plate and grabbed her bag. "Raghav, did you see my phone upstairs?"

Raghav tensed, "Yes, I brought it down, here."

Pallavi took it and waved bye to the three of them and was out the door.

Raghav knew it wasn't a smart idea, but his anger was leading him yet again. He'd have to follow Pallavi. After last night, he couldn't imagine that Pallavi would be lying about anything, but what if she was?