Chapter 37: Reckoning

The next morning, Pallavi woke up early, made breakfast for everyone, making sure to make Keerthi's favorite payasam and set aside some for her after they came back from the Deshkmukhs. She had no idea how confronting Sulochana Kaku would go, but she knew that this was the only way to make sure that everyone knew that Kaku wasn't acting in her best interests, let alone helping Mansi and Amruta be better. Keerthi also deserved an unconditional apology from Kaku, because what she had done could have destroyed Keerthi's whole life, not to mention Amma's.

When Raghav came down a little while later, noticing that Pallavi had already left the room, he tried to get Pallavi's attention, "Breakfast smells amazing, I see you made payasam, you know that's Keerthi's—"

"I know it's Keerthi's favorite, Raghav, I know how to talk to my own sister-in-law." Pallavi walked back into the kitchen and silently waited for Keerthi and Amma to come down. She knew she should forgive Raghav, but in the back of her mind, she couldn't put aside the thought that Raghav didn't really love her, that everything since their wedding, especially everything in the last few days, was just another plan for Raghav. She knew it didn't make much sense, but what if he just wanted her trust to destroy her more. She just couldn't understand how someone could think that she could do such horrible things, and then turn around and fall in love with her. Who could be that impulsive?

Little did Pallavi know that Raghav was indeed that impulsive. Raghav didn't sleep at all the night before, he kept tossing and turning, his nightmare a loop of Pallavi leaving the house with her bag packed, telling Amma that she was going to Kohlapur. Raghav let out a sigh of relief when he saw that Pallavi's clothes hadn't been packed up somewhere this morning, and when he got downstairs, he tried to talk to Pallavi. But she went back into the kitchen without looking at him. When Amma and Keerthi came downstairs, Raghav looked at Amma, and then the kitchen, begging her with his eyes to convince Pallavi to forgive him. Even though Amma could clearly tell what he meant, as Pallavi walked out of the kitchen at that moment, she wasn't going to bail out her son this time.

"Pallavi beta, should we call Sharda Ji or...well someone before we go to their house today." Amma asked timidly, she wanted to scream every Telugu insult she knew at the Deshmukhs, but upon seeing how embarrassed her daughter-in-law was, she controlled herself. Pallavi was kind, understanding, and loyal, basically nothing like anyone in the Deshmukh family. Amma knew that she had forced Raghav and Pallavi into this marriage, but the Deshmukh's reaction to Pallavi's decision was incomprehensible. Especially now that it seemed Raghav and Pallavi seemed to be understanding each other. But this time, Jaya knew she couldn't help Raghav clean up his mess. She had told him ages ago that Pallavi couldn't have done this. Instead of listening to her, Raghav either kept on believing it, or forgot about it. And now Pallavi was angry, justifiably.

An hour later, Pallavi knocked on the door of the Deshmukh house, standing in between Keerthi and Amma, with Raghav behind her. She could feel his anger grow as soon she knocked on the door, "Raghav, stay calm, please. Don't overreact, let's remember we're here for Keerthi and Amma, not you."

Pallavi glanced behind her and saw Raghav unclenched his fist, she hoped this would be the one time Raghav Rao could keep control of his anger.

Sharda opened the door, "Pallavi, what are you doing here? Jaya Ji?"

Pallavi smiled, "Aai, how are you, I'm sorry we didn't call or anything, actually we have something important to discuss with Kaku, can we come inside?"

Aai nodded, confused.

Baba came into the main hall from his back room, "Pallavi, tum kyun yahaan aayi? If it's something related to the store, we can discuss it there, I don't think you should have—"
"Baba, it's not about the shop, we're here to talk to Kaku."