Chapter 49: Breaking Bonds

After two hours, Pallavi had managed to eat breakfast, finish three chapters of a book, and now she was bored. Luckily Amma and Keerthi were out of the house, Amma didn't try to guilt Pallavi into resting, but Pallavi knew Amma wanted to. Then her phone rang, Vikram was calling.

"Vikram, hey, what's up?" Pallavi asked.

"Pallavi, I know you messaged me to let me know you couldn't come in today, but could I ask you for a small favor, we're doing the catalogue shoot today, and one of the models is being really fussy about the sarees she's required to wear. She insists they're not being draped properly, but she has no idea how to fix it, she just wants to keep complaining. I would replace her Pallavi, but I want the shots for the catalogue done today, because for the rest of the week, I'm focused on the other pieces for the season. Listen, if you're not up to coming, maybe you could—"

"Calm down, Vikram. I was a little ill yesterday, but I'm fine today. Amma is just being overprotective and she asked me to stay home, but there's no need. I'm on my way, text me the address of the shoot again, I'll be there in twenty. In the meantime, you should just finish up the shots with the models that aren't complaining." Pallavi responded. She was excited at the option to get out of the house for a bit, she was getting really bored sitting alone.

"Thank god Pallavi. I swear I owe you big time. Anything you want, you name it—" Vikram exclaimed.

Pallavi laughed, "Acchaa ji? Anything? Mr. Vikram Singh Rathore, you should never make a promise you might not be able to keep."

Vikram smiled, even over the phone he could see Pallavi's laugh, the glimmer in her eyes when she was happy. He really did need her help on the shoot, not just with that one model, but he wanted her perspective on everything, but more than anything, he hadn't seen her for a while and he was missing her.

"Pallavi, I promise, anything you want, you can ask me for."

Pallavi smiled, "Teek hai Vikram, but now let me get ready, I'll see you in a bit."

Pallavi reached the photoshoot around twenty-five minutes later, and immediately she was overwhelmed with the scent of flowers. It was beautiful, she saw three models, wearing three of her most floral designs, getting their shots done with, and then she spotted Vikram.

"Vikram, your designer is here, what did you need me to do first?" Pallavi asked him.

Vikram smiled, he hugged Pallavi, "Thank god Pallavi, thank god. Let me take you to the model. So her name is Anita, and she's really talented, but she's a bit of a diva. I don't think she's ever worn a saree before, but she keeps claiming we've draped it incorrectly—" Vikram stopped talking as they finally approached the dressing tent for Anita, and Pallavi reassured Vikram with a glance that she'd handle everything and went inside.

"Anita?" Pallavi asked, she noticed Anita was wearing her pale blue saree design, the one with a think silver border, and halter top blouse.

Anita turned around and stood up, and looked Pallavi up and down, "Yes? Who are you? I asked Vikram for the designer to come down here to check what horrible things are being done to their work, not for some random woman who thinks she 'knows' how to drape sarees to help me."

Pallavi smielo coldly, "Anita, first of all, your saree is mostly draped correctly, I can see that the pleats are a little off, but we can fix that pretty quickly. Second of all, my name is Pallavi Rao, I am the designer."

Anita looked taken aback, perhaps it was because Pallavi had left the house with very little makeup and had worn a pretty simple turquoise saree, with no bells or whistles. Just like the sarees she used to wear before she had been married.