Chapter 8: A Mother's Love Calms All

Pallavi walked downstairs and tried to figure out where the kitchen was. Then behind her she heard Jaya Aunty call her, "Pallavi, you're awake so early? Are you feeling better beta, I think you should rest some more."

"Aunty, I'm completely fine, I was just looking for the kitchen. If you don't mind, I'd like to make some breakfast. I'll make some for everyone of course!" Pallavi added hastily, she knew very well what duties would be expected of her has a new daughter-in-law, even if she didn't plan on fulfilling a single duty that a "wife" held.

"That's not necessary Pallavi beta, also, it's not Aunty anymore, call me Amma."

Pallavi smiled, she thought of Aai, sitting in the hospital, worried about Baba and her smile fell.

"I know that you already have an Aai, so I think Amma is better, no?"

"Yes, Amma, thank you, and of course it's necessary to make food, you must be hungry, I know I am."

Amma led Pallavi to the kitchen, where Reddy had just started boiling water for his Anna's coffee.

"Pallavi Madam, Jaya Madam, you two are up early, did you need me to make you something?" Reddy looked surprised to see the two women in the kitchen, "You can just wait in the dining room, I'll bring some food right away."

"Reddy, it seems like Pallavi isn't going to leave until she gets a chance to make some food, why don't we just let her do it. Pallavi beta, don't strain yourself, you don't have to make food for everyone, just whatever you want to eat."

Pallavi shook her head and smiled, "Amma, I'm perfectly fine, and completely capable of making a simple breakfast. Now you go sit and drink some coffee, looks like Reddy has already made it. What would you like for breakfast, I'm pretty adept at Andhra dishes nowadays, after living in Hyderabad for so long."

Amma smiled, Pallavi's kindness and refusal to back down reminded her of her late husband, he too was stubborn as hell. "Beta, whatever you want to make is fine with me. Are you sure you don't need help though—"

Pallavi laughed and pushed Amma and Reddy out of the kitchen, "I will be fine!"

Pallavi looked through the cabinets and the refrigerator, she decided a Maratha breakfast was best, she was craving some thalipeeth and kanda poha. She got to work, soaking the poha and making the dough for the thalipeeth. In around thirty minutes she was done and when Reddy walked in again, seeing if the new madam of the house needed help, Pallavi asked him to help her bring the food out.

She had made chai, thalipeeth, kanda-poha, and some simple dahi-rice in case Amma and Keerthi preferred South Indian food. Amma and Keerthi were at the table drinking coffee when Pallavi and Reddy came out.

"Bon-appétit, Rao family! I hope you don't mind, but chai works best with a proper Maratha breakfast. But I made some curd-rice if you're not in the mood for a North Indian breakfast." Pallavi smiled at the two women.

"Pallavi, this is too perfect, I love North Indian food, you know. But why did you do this, Amma you should have stopped her." Keerthi complained, but almost immediately turned over a plate and started serving herself.

"Keerthi I tried, but your new 'vadina' wouldn't take no for an answer." Amma responded.

Keerthi laughed and added, "Pallavi Bhabi, you don't have to call me vadina, please just call me Keerthi."

"Only if you stop with this Bhabi nonsense and call me Pallavi Didi, I was your sister before and I better still be."

Keerthi smiled, "Of course, you know I always told Amma that I wished I had a sister, and now I have one." She got up and went to Pallavi and gave her a tight hug.

Keerthi whispered to Pallavi so Amma didn't hear, "how are you doing, Raghav didn't bother you or say anything last night after your family left right? How are you feeling now, did you sleep well"

Pallavi smiled, "Keerthi, I'm perfectly fine, don't worry."

The three of them started eating when Amma asked Pallavi, "Beta, where is Raghav? Is he planning on sleeping all day?"

Pallavi swallowed, how could she tell Amma, this amazing woman, that her son was not only sleeping, but she, Pallavi, definitely didn't care enough about Raghav to wake him up or offer him breakfast. Before she could answer, Raghav walked in.

"I'm here Amma, good morning." He touched Amma's feet and took a seat at the table.

"Reddy, is my protein shake ready?" Raghav thundered to the kitchen.

Reddy ran into the room, "yes sir, sorry it took a while to make it, I didn't want to disturb madam when she was making breakfast."

Amma started, "Raghav, what is with this protein shake nonsense, there's a whole table of food why don't you—"

"Amma, you didn't need to make all this, why didn't you tell Reddy what you wanted. Reddy, do I pay you to sit around and do nothing." Raghav's anger didn't surprise Pallavi, but his concern for his mother did.

"Raghav, I didn't make this, Pallavi did. And from now on, you're not eating this crap in the morning." Amma snatched the shake away from Raghav and put a plate in front of him.

"I'd rather starve than eat this food, it's probably poisoned." Raghav muttered under his breath.

"What was that, bhai?" Keerthi grinned, wondering how much trouble she could get her brother into with his mom this morning.

"Nothing, nothing. I guess I'll have this curd-rice." Raghav said, exasperated.

Pallavi was quiet through all of this, she liked Keerthi and Amma, but she wasn't really interested in talking to Raghav this morning, or listening to anything he was saying. She finished her breakfast and stood up, "Amma, I think it's best if I go to the hospital to check on Aai and Baba, and Nikhil's probably out...I mean he's probably there already anyway." Pallavi decided that if Raghav had kept his word about getting Nikhil out of jail, she might as well not spill the beans to his mother about how horrible her darling son actually was, just yet.

Amma tensed, she was worried about Sharda's reaction yesterday, and she didn't want that Sulochana or Vijay to say anything cruel to Pallavi again. "Ok, beta, but, don't go alone. Raghav, you take her. That way Pallavi doesn't have to drive that scooter." Amma smiled at Pallavi's protestations, "I'm sorry Pallavi but that scooter is definitely too old to be ridden anymore. Raghav, come on, eat faster and go with Pallavi."

"Nahin, Amma, I'll just take an auto or a rickshaw—"

"Nonsense, Raghav will go with you. And don't worry, he knows I will not spare him if he's anything but kind to your family." Amma was definitely not going to take no for an answer, either from her son or her daughter.

"Fine Amma, Saree ka Dukaan, let's leave, or do you need to spend another twenty minutes getting ready?" Raghav got up from the table and glared at Pallavi.

Unfortunately, Amma did not appreciate Raghav's nickname for Pallavi or his insulting behavior. She slapped him on the back of the head.

"Your wife's name is Pallavi, does she need to wear a name-tag? And stop acting like a baby."

Keerthi laughed out loud, "Amma, don't worry, Pallavi has an excellent nickname for Raghav too...Ghamandi Rao."

Amma smiled, "Not bad, Pallavi beta, not bad."

Pallavi laughed into her hand as Raghav quietly apologized to Amma. If Amma really liked her this much, Pallavi thought it would be pretty easy to make Raghav's life miserable as his wife.

Raghav glared at Pallavi, if Amma kept taking this Saree ka Dukaan's side, it might turn out that bringing Amma back to the house wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Pallavi smiled back at Raghav and winked in response to his furious glare, "Come on Raghav, we should get going." She grinned and headed to the door.

Raghav followed, praying to every god he knew to get him out of this nightmare.