Chapter 12: Home

The next morning Raghav woke up and saw that Pallavi wasn't in bed. He instinctively looked to the vanity, and tried to hear if she was in the bathroom, but it seemed his new wife was an early-bird. The scent of jasmine was still in the air, but it was pleasant, Raghav could get used to it.

As he was walking down the stairs, in workout clothes, planning a long run before work, he saw Amma, Keerthi, and Pallavi laughing and talking with Farhad, who had apparently been convinced to eat breakfast with them.

"Farhad, don't you have some work at the shop. And Amma, I told you, Reddy is here to cook, you don't have to make food."

Farhad got up quickly, "Arre Farhad, why are you getting scared, your Anna can't stop you from eating." Pallavi sat Farhad down again, returning Raghav's glare with a smile, "Also, Amma didn't make this, Reddy and I did. And even if Amma did cook, there's nothing wrong with making food for yourself or your family. If you want your protein shake, Reddy kept it on the kitchen counter."

Keerthi smirked into her plate, no matter how Raghav had convinced Pallavi into this wedding, it seemed Raghav was the one paying the price.

"No need for a protein shake, Pallavi has made such nice food, you sit and eat." Amma pulled Raghav to a chair.

Raghav looked at the table, and then at his sister and mother. Despite everything that was wrong with Saree ka Dukaan, she did know how to cook, and she had managed to make Amma and Keerthi smile. Amma filled up Raghav's plate and sat back down to finish her food.

"Farhad, take more parathas, come on, you only had one." Pallavi reached across the table and put two parathas on Farhad's plate, despite his protestations.

As Pallavi reached closer to Raghav to grab the food, her perfume made his way to him again. In the early morning sunlight she looked almost ethereal, the pastel blue of her blouse reflecting light into her smiling face, her eyes glittering a deep hazel with those sparkling gold flecks. Her hair was held back with two pins, but it was kept down, and Raghav admired how it shone like silk in the light, reaching down to her waist. Pallavi caught Raghav looking at her and abruptly sat back down, she hated the feeling of his eyes on her. She purposefully avoided his eyes throughout breakfast, but noticed that he was eating with a lot of gusto. So, the Raghav Rao knew how to eat without talking for once.

"Raghav, Pallavi, I was thinking that since the wedding happened in such a rush, it would be a good idea to hold a small reception. Raghav you would be able to call your friends and perhaps some of your colleagues, and Pallavi we can invite your family and if I invite my friends, we might be able to talk up Deshmukh Sarees!"

Raghav and Pallavi hated the idea and it was obvious from the faces they made as soon as Amma mentioned it, but Amma took no notice, "ok so it's final, reception tomorrow, here. Farhad, I'll need your help printing and sending out invitations."

"Yes of course Amma, I think a reception is a great idea."

Keerthi smiled and looked across at Raghav and Pallavi, "Of course, all of Hyderabad is probably dying to meet Mrs. Raghav Rao."

Raghav clenched his jaw, trying to keep calm. "Amma, I don't think—"

"Raghav, don't be a spoil sport, the wedding was so small, we can do this much, right."

Raghav looked at Amma and melted at the sight of her smile. Fine, it was just another party, what could be the harm?

"Pallavi Di, why don't I accompany you to the shop today, we can maybe find you something glamorous to wear," Keerthi said excitedly, "and after if you need any help with the accounts—" Keerthi fell silent as she saw Pallavi's worried face.

"Oh it's nothing, Keerthi, I just don't know if I'm still—" Pallavi tried but couldn't find the words to tell Keerthi that her dream of designing sarees and growing her store had been quashed forever. Because it wasn't her store, it was Baba's, and Baba didn't consider her family anymore.

"I already talked with Saanki Baba, he should have no problem with you staying on at the store, but I'm warning you, next time you fall asleep there working late, I'm not driving over to give you a lift home." Raghav had noticed Pallavi's expression and felt a pang of sympathy for her.

Farhad, Keerthi, and Amma were shocked at Raghav's declaration, because it meant that Raghav had done something for someone else, with no regard for a possible return back to him. Raghav finished his breakfast and left for work, "Amma, I'll be late tonight, Farhad and I have a lot of work."

Pallavi was dumbstruck, what had Raghav said to Baba? It couldn't be good, but if it meant she could still help Baba and the store, maybe it wasn't all bad?

The next morning, Amma, Farhad, and the rest of the workers were excitedly decorating the house. Keerthi was calling and texting Amma's guests to make sure they could attend. When Pallavi came out of the kitchen with breakfast she had to yell three times to get Amma's attention.

"Sorry Pallavi beta, I'm just so excited. I never thought I'd get to introduce my friends to my son, you know." Amma rushed to the table.

Keerthi laughed, "I can't wait for all the aunties in our neighborhood to find out that Jaya Rao's precious son is actually The Don of Hyderabad, Raghav Rao, Owner of Jayathi Jewels. The looks on their faces is going to be hilarious."

Pallavi smiled, "Don't you think they'll be amazed to meet me" she tossed her hair, pretending to be a model on a catwalk as she walked a carafe of coffee to Keerthi.

"Oh Pallavi Di, of course!" Keerthi giggled, "I mean when these aunties' sons realize what they missed after they see you in that gorgeous saree I made you get yesterday, Raghav's going to have to beat them away with a stick."

Raghav entered the room, "Keerthi you have it wrong, I'd gladly give away my fortune to any man who will help me escape Saree ka Dukaan." He glared at Pallavi, who rolled her eyes. Amma slapped him on the back of the head, "No nonsense today, and you have to be here at 8PM sharp. You too Pallavi. I don't want any excuses about work from either of you."

"Of course Amma, I'll come straight home with Krishna after we close the shop at 7."

Raghav was shocked for a millisecond upon hearing Pallavi call his house, 'home.' What confused him the most was that it didn't bother him as much as he thought it would.