Chapter 17: Green with Envy

The meeting with Rathore went better than Raghav could have expected. Raghav was especially pleased that Rathore didn't mention Pallavi even once, perhaps Raghav's doubts were just in his head.

As Vikram made to leave Raghav's office, he turned around and said, "I hope you can clear up the issue between Pallavi and her father, she seemed very distressed this morning."

Raghav swallowed, he had spoke too soon, "Vikram, thank you for taking Pallavi away from the shop this morning. She and her father...have recently had a falling out. But rest assured, I can handle it."

"That's why I offered Pallavi the designer job, she needs to stop living in the shadows, and learn to work for herself." Vikram replied.

"You just met her yesterday, and you've already figured out what she needs to do in life?" Raghav asked, unsure why it felt like a sleeping dragon was starting to wake up in his chest.

Vikram laughed, "Pallavi asked me the same question, and I'll give you the same answer. As you well know, in business you look for your benefit first. Pallavi's clearly a talented designer, so this opportunity helps me just as much as her. Anyway, I look forward to doing business with you, and Pallavi, let's meet again soon to talk details." With that Vikram left Raghav's office. Raghav sat down, pouring himself a drink and trying to figure out why the dragon in his chest was still roaring.

That night during dinner, Keerthi didn't help Raghav's dragon problems.

"Pallavi Di, how was it at the shop today, did you get a chance to meet with that Vikram?"

Raghav stopped eating and glanced at Pallavi.

"Yes, I did. Baba wasn't really interested, so um, well Vikram and I talked about my designs at a coffee shop nearby."

Raghav scoffed, "Your father, is truly crazy."

"Raghav—" Amma started warningly.

"Amma, I'm serious. He kicked Pallavi out of the shop today, apparently in front of Vikram! I mean I don't care, but I'm going to be doing business with him, and if he thinks that I'm married to someone who—"

"Someone who what?" Pallavi interrupted. She had played the nice daughter-in-law in front of Amma for long enough. "What did you want to say? finish your sentence."

Raghav glared at Pallavi, "someone who isn't trusted to manage a small and unprofitable saree ka dukaan."

As soon as he said it he regretted it.

Pallavi stood up, "Amma, excuse me, I'm feeling a little tired, I'm going to go to bed."

After she rushed upstairs, Amma started in on Raghav, "What is wrong with you? How is her father being a complete jerk Pallavi's fault?"

Keerthi shook her head in disgust at Raghav and he finished his meal in silence.

When he opened the door to his room, Raghav was worried that Pallavi might be crying again. She wasn't. She was in bed, with a sketchpad, drawing furiously.

Pallavi avoided Raghav when he walked in the room. She didn't want to talk to him. Sometimes he could be so sweet and normal, and then like a flipped switch, he turned into a cruel jerk.

Raghav brushed his teeth, washed his face, and changed his clothes. He smiled to himself as he took off his shirt, hopefully Pallavi's reaction to his choice of night clothes would bring them back to an uneasy truce.

When he climbed into bed, Pallavi didn't flinch, she didn't look his way at all.

Finally he broke the silence, "I don't think you should work with Vikram. It doesn't seem like a good deal."

"Wow, I didn't know Warren Buffett had died and crowned you king of business deals. Please, do tell me more about what I should and shouldn't do." Pallavi bit back at Raghav, not taking her eyes off her sketch.

"If you want to design saree, just open up your own showroom, that will show your Saanki Baba. I can just call Farhad to start looking for places, and I'll write you a check—"

"Raghav, I have told you once, and I hate that I have to tell you again. I am not an object with a price tag. You can't buy me, nor am I going to throw your money at a wall and expect to be a success. Also, if you remember, we are not actually husband and wife, we are not even friends. So go show your fake concern with someone who believes you."

Pallavi closed her sketchbook and slammed it on the side table, switched off the light, and turned her back to him. Ending the conversation, yet again.

How did she always manage to get the last word?Whatever, Saree ka Dukaan didn't want his help, what did he care? Onlycompletely ungrateful and untalented—Rathore's words made their way intoRaghav's thoughts, 'I wouldn't underestimate her if I were you.' Raghav scoffedand tried to fall asleep, worried that the dragon in his chest didn't seem towant to sleep at all.